Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best bindings for small feet??
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:53 am 

I am new to splitboarding so some of this is all speculation for me until I get my set up and there is enough snow on the ground to take my new Venture Zephyr out. Bear with me..
I ride ladies 6 or 6.5 Burton boots and I have been riding small Escapades with those. I love how seemless they fit together. I would like to find a binding so that I continue using Burtons boots, they are the best fit I have found.
I am looking at buying a pair of Sparks Blazes or Voile Lightrails this season.. I looked at a pair of small Sparks with ladies 7 Burton boots in the store and saw a gap between the inside edge of the boot and the binding that my finger could fit in. Also the baseplate seems so slick that if there is room to move around then it will happen. I haven't seen Lightrails except online.

My first question is has anyone experienced slipping around in their Sparks bindings or anything else sloppy about the boot/binding because of size differences?
My next question is where do people fall on the subject of using the Voile interface to use bindings that you know work for you or using a splitboard specific binding for a closer connection to the board? Maybe there is a thread about this already started?
I'd also love to hear from people with feet as small as mine about what boots/bindings you use.
Thanks!
Katy

Post subject: Re: Best bindings for small feet??
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:19 am 

Hi Katy,

I think you are a perfect candidate for some rughty bindings. He can take any aluminum binding and convert it to a splitboard binding that fits snug on your boot.
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10362

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:49 am 

Thanks Kenny, thats a good idea that I will look into. The only problem is that it opens a whole new can of worms trying to find an aluminum binding that would work for me. I've used a friends Rides that fit well, but in my experience helping my students with Ride bindings the rachets are always getting stuck or frozen. Any other ideas on customizable aluminum bindings?
Katy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 pm 

You could put some escapade straps on it with some modification.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:00 pm 

Katy'

My wife is the same size boot as you, and also uses Burton bindings on her solid, but Lexa's in a medium. She found the small really snug with a non-Burton boot (Northwaves) and the medium was a much better fit.

That said, I did get her a blaze setup this summer but she hasn't used it yet. The small is pretty small and I'd say by eyeballing from memory it was in between a small/medium ladies Burton binding.

I don't have it here in front of me, but will have it available next Saturday and I can snap some pictures for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:41 am 

Here is my wife's size 35 Northwave boots in the small Blaze's. The tag says 5.5 but I know they run big and she is a size 6 in Burton boots. The heelcup is on the small side of the mid setting. I can push it forward 2 holes for a smaller boot or backwards 3 holes. The boot does not move around at all. I think you will be fine with the small.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am 

Thanks for the reply Tiltedworld.
I'm still a little concerned about the side to side space beside the boots. But the more I talk to people the more I hear good things about Sparks and no one who has noticed this being a problem.
I'm going to hold off on making a decision for a bit longer. I'm still looking for a pair of Rides or other aluminum bindings to go the route of rughty's custom bindings, If I do that I'll add Burton rachets and ladders.
The split isn't here yet so I'm going to take my time.
I will let you guys know what I decide in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:15 pm 

kadydid_k@yahoo.com
Go with the Rughty option.
You can get any option you want then (straps and highbacks).
Good light and strong binding
Good luck

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:23 pm 

I have the spark burner bindings and a size 7 salomon boot and they fit pretty snug and are great. you could give that a go!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 am 

Thanks for all the input! I finally made a decision and went with Sparks Blazes. Extra money and maybe I'm still a little worried about them being a bit too big, but more and more I've heard, they are worth it. Especially since they teamed up with Burton for rachets. I have a friend who uses bic pens as shims to get a tighter fit on bindings that are a little big, they also give a little cant. I'll start experimenting soon! The Venture is finally in transit via Fedex! AND a little wet fart of snow is expected over the next couple days!