Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lightest setup everrrrrrrrrrrrr (hardboot)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:36 pm 

Got to get out this weekend with the new plates to check out out they feel.
With it blowing and crappy avy conditions i stuck to the resort just playing around in the trees and doing some beacon drills.
Sun was a different story and headed out to east peak which is side country aT Big White to check out the snowpack.
boot pen was about 20 cm with a few layers in the top.
had a ct of 23 70 cm down so even with the avy alert east peak has an incline less than 30deg so its good to go.
just at that time about 8 people dropped in on smokers bowl on the skiers left. no packs or shovels and its notorious for sliding
got a few laps in and i have to say this is the way to go if you can
too easy so back to the resort to ride some steep tracked out trees

Have been experimenting with bindings for 4 years now and have worked through the problems of welding (heat affected zones and lower tensile strengths) bails bent in compound angles( doubt that it can be done cost effective production wise)
These felt the best so far but can only be done as a custom job.Production wise you might have to go a different route and with sparks saying that they are coming out with something in a couple years with the edison connection not sure it can happen.
Being low on the board is a huge benefit and was one of the concerns that pushed people away from hardboots and hopefully we can rectify this soon for the population.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm 

Any of you guys have any of those toe pieces to donate? I have made some highly adjustable front and rear bails and weight is looking to be well under a lb each using a Triad slider. Fabricating the rest over the next week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm 

rughty wrote:
Any of you guys have any of those toe pieces to donate? I have made some highly adjustable front and rear bails and weight is looking to be well under a lb each using a Triad slider. Fabricating the rest over the next week.

Rughty: Exactly which pieces do you need, the toe plate which goes under foot, the bail, and/or the bail with the toe lever? Would love to see what you are comng up with, and what size (diameter) bails you are using. I have some various plate bindings spare parts laying around, but am using the best ones for my current bindings (my RacePlate toe and heel pieces and bails).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 pm 

rughty

The easiest way to get toe levers is either buy the voile bindings or get the levers off of fin for bomber bindings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm 

vapor wrote:
rughty

The easiest way to get toe levers is either buy the voile bindings or get the levers off of fin for bomber bindings

And note that the Voile toe levers suck, they are really bulky and stick way out, creating drag when riding steeps. The Bombers have the problem that they are designed for for really thick (overly heavy), ~7 mm bails. 5 mm bails are the right size for a lightweight backcountry binding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:00 pm 

Rughty: If your referring the Burton Race Plate, I could send you the aluminum base plate instead of heels toe and heel bails.

The base plate could be be used as template for mounting hole pattern for use with Burton Race Plate Toe and heel bails onto your TRIAD slider plate. I also have assortment of snowpro race bindings parts including toe / heel bails.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm 

barrows wrote:
vapor wrote:
rughty

And note that the Voile toe levers suck, they are really bulky and stick way out, creating drag when riding steeps. The Bombers have the problem that they are designed for for really thick (overly heavy), ~7 mm bails. 5 mm bails are the right size for a lightweight backcountry binding.

Serious barrows start thinking outside the box!!
Bomber bails can be sleaved to fit 5mm an voile are perfectly fine. In reality if you want to do this comercially you have to find a supplier that readily available.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 pm 

"Serious barrows start thinking outside the box!!
Bomber bails can be sleaved to fit 5mm an voile are perfectly fine. In reality if you want to do this comercially you have to find a supplier that readily available."

Sure, of course they can. But adding the sleeve will add more unnecessary weight, if you can find a delrin or teflon sleeve that would be really cool. Still, the Bomber lever is pretty nice, low profile, and not too heavy considering it is a nice machined aluminum part. But really, if one is trying to make a commercially viable binding, sourcing parts from third party suppliers may drive the price up so much that the binding cannot be sold for a reasonable price. I suspect the only way Spark is able to sell their bindings at such a reasonable price is because they do their machining in house.
Anyway, you are right, the Bomber lever is a good option to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm 

Last fall I purchased a spare Intec toe bail (aka Burton Race Plate) from Bomber for $20 dollars.

See:

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Ibex-binding_p_118.html

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Ibex-Toe-Assembly_p_40.html

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Ibex-Heel-Assembly_p_41.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 pm 

sorry powderrider

Unfortunately they've been out of stock for a few months now.
They do lok sweet though

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm 

The RacePlate/Ibex style binding parts are available here:

www.carvecompany.com

Note that these bails are also actually stronger due to heat treating than the original Burton or Ibex parts. I have never broken the Burton RacePlates, despite years on the same pair resort riding, bashing bumps, jumping, riding lots of steeps, etc. but stronger parts for no additional weight is always reassuring!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:37 am 

So I am looking for the toe levers, but would love to see an assortment of parts to make sure the design I have come up with really is the best way to go about it, not to mention the lightest. Toe and heel bails would be helpful to get an idea of general bail shapes. I am planning on using 1/4" material for the bails (6.34mm). I can sleeve or drill out toe pieces and will likely make my own in the future. I wish I could be more open on the design. Their will be toe and heel adjustability and weight is looking to be under a lb each. hit me up at my personal email kenboy875@yahoo.com and let's get some prototypes made...

Thanks Vapor for the motivation to get hardbooters out there pushing for better technology. I love what you have done here and your bases are sick. Good work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 pm 

Love those carvecompany bails. They probably use a med carbon alloy heatreated and tempered which is significantly stronger than stainless as far as tensile strength. Add the powder coating and the price is 69 eur :cry: .
Gives me ideas though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next