Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone mod regular ski skins for a split? Easy? Hard?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 am 

I think the title says it all. Any gotchas I should look out for. I need 140 mm skins for my new split and Voile only does 130mm skins these days. I could go with the 130's but I would rather have wall to wall skin than coming up short. I don't think this is too tough, but I'd like some advice before I drop close to $200 on a set of skins.

Post subject: Re: Anyone mod regular ski skins for a split? Easy? Hard?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:11 am 

I know you saw this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10228

But BCA skins can be a little expensive if they have them in stock (they sell out fast), but they do have sizes on up to 150mm. However, I've had good luck with CSD and they are much cheaper at $135 (which includes tip and tail clips, and shipping and handling). I got a pair back in early November and have been using them nearly every weekend. I did have an issue when it was really cold at Berthoud (-15F) over the Christmas break. I sent them a few pictures and let them know that they never seemed to be as sticky as other CSD skins I've seen so they sent me a new pair for free and in less then a week. I'd say that's pretty good customer service. They can be a little slow to respond to emails, but my guess is that this is due to them out playing in the snow.

For CSD skins, I order the 140mm wide with twin tip setup, wide 70mm tip rings and let them know it's for a splitboard (not sure what they do different, but I get the right stuff this way).

https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/Skins.html

If you can get a good deal on skins just for right width and material, I'd said then go get the BCA tip/tail setup and you should have everything you need.

Best luck to you.

-Kef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 pm 

Hell, I was going to just do some ascensions. I'm actually willing to drop the coin. I get a modest discount at a couple of shops around town, I just really needed to make sure this was worth my effort. Seems that it is.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 pm 

I went your route and ordered a pair off of CSD. Thanks again for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm 

Can anyone with the CSD skins confirm if I have the correct tip/tail attachments? In their emails back and forth with me they stated that the attachments were bent a bit different than their twin tip ski solution, and that they would ship those when I ordered the twin tip skins as the splitboard skins are not on their site. I was expecting something like the BCA ones that Keffler posted, but neither end has a bent section and they look exactly like the twin tip attachments.

I've emailed them a few days ago, but haven't received a reply yet and there is no phone # to call. This is the attachments I received with my skins.

Thanks for answering the noob question :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm 

I got 2 sets of these G3's locally from Jason at Alpenglow in Golden CO. He hooked me up on price (big time) and I have been trying to send splitboarders his way to get a local shop to start catering more to us. The tail pieces are BCA/CSD but i saw a thread hear about the G3 tail attachments i would like to try.http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9730&hilit=g3+tail
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:48 am 

I seemed to remember JimW modding a set of BD STS skins. Took a little work to find it: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3461&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=skin

I suppose PM him for details. Re-glueing my tractors this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 am 

tiltedworld wrote:
Can anyone with the CSD skins confirm if I have the correct tip/tail attachments?
Those look correct. I received the ski attachment by mistake on my last order. My fault, as I didn't specify they were for a splitty (email them with your order to prevent confusion). The ski attachments have a 45 degree bend in them. I simply got out the tools and bent them straight and then bent a bow in the middle to go around the bolted tip/tail clips and they work fine now. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:54 am 

Thanks, I did email them that it was for a split on my order, and "split kit" was written on the receipt in the box. I guess I was figuring there would be a bend similiar to this to account for the offset on the tip clip. Still no response from CSD :roll:

So you just bent the tip loop and the tail stretcher to fit over the bolted tip/tail clips? Did you cut the tip side offset like the tail stretcher then? Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 pm 

That's the 45 degree bend. It is for a straight ski tip. I just bent them straight and then outward a little (you can see that they bulge in the photo), they are TIG welded steel and pretty tough. I cut the skin to offset the funky splitboard angle. If you have a standard riveted setup you should not need to bend them, just cut the skins to to compensate for the angle. Lauren is the person answering emails at CSD (info@climbingskinsdirect.com). I asked her about listing a splitboard specific SKU, but I don't think they are super web savvy and they haven't updated they website in a long time. Additionally we splitters are a very (very) small consumer base, and are a little strange to them.

Let me know if you need any additional pics or advise.

Pedro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:50 pm 

Thanks I can see the bend now in your tip pics. My clips are screwed, not riveted, so I will need to bend them a bit. I should be good now, but thanks for the help.

Yeah Lauren was pretty responsive before the sale, but I haven't heard anything since. She did say that they got a ton of business from here, so they should add to the site, but what do we know...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 pm 

I just went the CSD route for my split and the clips you have are the ones they sent me as well. I had to cut the skins at an offset both tip and tail to get them to cover the board. I didn't need to bend the clips any. I can try to post a pic if you'd like. Not sure how wide your board is but with the 140 mm skins and cutting them offset they just barely covered my 161 burton. Good luck.

tiltedworld wrote:
Thanks I can see the bend now in your tip pics. My clips are screwed, not riveted, so I will need to bend them a bit. I should be good now, but thanks for the help.

Yeah Lauren was pretty responsive before the sale, but I haven't heard anything since. She did say that they got a ton of business from here, so they should add to the site, but what do we know...