Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Are K-clips worth the $50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:43 pm 

Wondering if I should invest in Karakoram Clips but wondering if I should really spend $50 on them? Will the riding be that much different?

Post subject: Re: Are K-clips worth the $50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:32 pm 

Not really an investment, I would spend that on a night out!
get some and find out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 am 

No... If you have a capped board, ride only powder...
Maybe... If you have a sidewall board...
Yes... If you have the split 30 binders, or frequently ride steep chattery ice...

I found that running one K-clip (tail) and one Voile hook (nose) on my sidewall board made putting the board together much easier in less than ideal conditions, I just didn't like the way the K-clips hull the board, so I sold them... YMMV :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 pm 

Snurfer.. HULL the board?
I am just about to put them on a DIY split

Phantoms/Sparks
Tokachi Dreaming

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 pm 

I could imagine the clips forcing a v shape in the bottom. Especially on a capped board. Could be cool for powder.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:43 pm 

yogisnow wrote:
Snurfer.. HULL the board?
I am just about to put them on a DIY split
Yes, the halves of the board are pulled upward as well as inward... no doubt the bindings/slider plates force the halves flat again, but I didn't really like torquing my inserts(pucks) or the deepening scratches that were beginning to develop in my topsheet from the binders... Again YMMV, just an honest appraisal of my personal experience...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 pm 

Anyone else have input or picture of the Hulling Snurfer experienced? I would think that the point of attachment is so close to the inside edge that any hulling would be almost indictable. I certainly could conceive of extra stress on the inserts especially if inside edges of the board are not fully cleared before joining. I wonder if spacing your pucks super tight would help? Of course that could make board assembly enough of a pain in the ass to offset the benefits of the K-clips. Interested in what people got to say as I was looking a swapping for K-clips this winter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
Anyone else have input or picture of the Hulling Snurfer experienced?

That was the first thing I noticed when I first put the k-clips on. I had to put a strait bar on just to confirm what I was seeing, that was confirmation as I watched the true bar teeter on the inside edges! My sparks don't fit really tight on the pucks (laterally) so they do pull them in a bit, but not all the way, I think with just the pressure of standing or riding flattens it out enough where I haven't noticed it. I also haven't noticed a huge improvement over voile's set-up, in fact everything seems to be a bit more of a pain in the ass! (putting board back together, hulling, latches flapping while touring etc.).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
Anyone else have input or picture of the Hulling Snurfer experienced? I would think that the point of attachment is so close to the inside edge that any hulling would be almost indictable. I certainly could conceive of extra stress on the inserts especially if inside edges of the board are not fully cleared before joining. I wonder if spacing your pucks super tight would help? Of course that could make board assembly enough of a pain in the ass to offset the benefits of the K-clips. Interested in what people got to say as I was looking a swapping for K-clips this winter.
I actually dial in my pucks with zero play (e.g., an icy inner edge means the pins aren't going in). Also I offset the toe and heel side pucks just slightly (fore and aft) so the voile hooks are pulled together as the binders go on. I posted a how too for dialing this in a few seasons ago in case you want to search for it.
Again for the sake of perspective I don't want to bash the K stuff, its really innovative and the binders look really badass, but the original question was about the return on investment of the clips and for me it was just more shit to hassle with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm 

My friend and I just finished a DIY with Voile pucks and K-clips, and this setup definitely gives the board a little Morrow spoon-nose action. My board less than my friend's, but it's there. The nice positive SNAP is enough for me to overlook it, and it's not going to make a difference to how the board rides.

I'd like to find a solution to the flippy clips flopping around while touring. If they were steel I'd glue a magnet to the bracket. But they're not. I hope they stay put.

The biggest issue I've found is that, unlike chinese clips which act as stops to align your board-halves the same at every transition, the k-clips will allow a little bit of leeway. You're able to clip your board together without it being lined up perfectly. A few head-scratching minutes of not being able to get my front binding pin through, and I figured this out (luckily). I'll just have to put that binding all the way on first, before snapping the clips down.

Still and all, I say the k-clips are worth it. My first DIY split was a bit roughshod. This new one is dialed: the sound of those clasps snapping shut echoes across the valleys as proof.

and, as mentioned above, I'll spend fifty bucks on candy this week. Sidemoney!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm 

So . . . no :nononno:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:32 am 

If your cutting your own board or if your factory board has slop then get em...If your board halves are tight and match up properly then why spend an extra 50 bucks :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:35 pm 

I used the Voile c-hooks on several boards this year, one DIY Never Summer Raptor I split, and 2 splitboards I built from scratch. No hassles whatsoever they just worked reliably and I felt they held the board together well too.

Out of curiousity I just fitted K-clips to the 2nd board I built, so far without even riding it I think they are not better in fact I suspect the Voile c-hooks are still the best. I will use them in anger before making my mind up but at this stage I can't see me using them for long. They look sexy and are nice and firm hold but no question they are pulling accross the top and causing the base to go ever so slightly vee. Maybe not an issue but I can't see any benefit. I also have a set of well used k-clips off a board that was used for several trips this season and they are holding up ok, one is slightly bent, both feel pretty gritty like they need some lubrication.

My gut feel is the Voile c-hooks are the best answer so far, they have a way better overlap and more of a fulcrum effect to keep the board flat while riding. If you can imagine the left hook is bearing down on the right side splitboard and vice versa, this is where the c-hooks seem a better engineered solution. The K-clips have very little overlap.

On the other hand, the Zytel tip/tail clips that Karakoram make are looking like the way to go, they are extremely tough material and I suspect will last a lot longer than the Voile ones. I have seen the Voile tip/tail clips let go on a few boards this season leaving the tips and tail flapping around and annoying the rider.

cheers
Rich

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next