Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TIPS ON PARTS FOR DIY MODS w/o VOILE DIY KIT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 pm 

Looking for recommendations on DIY split without DIY Split Kit. Probably still use Voile or Sparks LT toe piece because touring mode seems hardest to replace with knock offs. Looking for ideas on hardware, hooks, clips, pucks, and edges.

Cheapest places to order any of these parts- from metal edges to pucks, nuts, screws and everywhere in between. Really looking for a comprehensive guide for the cheap or lightweight alternatives for the DIYer.

Preferably US to keep it green and cheap.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: TIPS ON PARTS FOR DIY MODS w/o VOILE DIY KIT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm 

There are not that many alternatives to a voile diy kit. You can buy the parts separate, but it will be more expensive.
Your alternative is making everything DIY, but it takes a lot of time and may not be worth it for you. I just wanted a better solution regardless of cost, so ended up making everything myself. It is very much worth it if you want light weight though. My setup is much lighter than even Sparks or Lightrails.

I agree the toe piece and pin are not worth making yourself. Get the Spark LT, they are nice.

Hooks: Easy to make yourself, you can download a template for the Voile hooks and sort of copy them. But I prefer hooks that you don't have to rotate like the old Burton ones. Have a look at the ones I made.

tip/tail clips: Easy to make

Clips: If you want a clip like Karakoram, you can buy one of those things they use on flightcases and modify it. I have karakoram clips on my other split, not that impressed with how well they work and they're too heavy.

Pucks: You can machine these yourself if you want to go this route. Find the right type of plastic, not too brittle.

Your biggest problem will be the binding itself. You can go the normal DIY route and use sliderplates and a regular binding, but it will be heavy and raised of the board. Or you can try to copy something like a Spark, but it will not be easy unless you can machine aluminium. And if you can do that, you might as well make a system like mine out of aluminium. It will be lower on the baord and lighter because you lose the pucks. I had the most problems with making the binding, and the touring mode for it.

Here's my build:

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12539

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:41 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at your DIY- you do nice work. If I had the talent, I'd certainly make an effort towards something similar with the mounting system.

You might have answered my question, but I guess I was hoping to create or find a cheap knock off type voile kit- ordering hardware (t-nuts, etc) piece by piece, some voile replica pucks (like many SBers have shown here- e.g. Firstlight & Burton) and then going with a splitboard specific like the light rail or sparks w/ lt. You might be right that isn't possible to do it cheaper this way, but lighter seems like an effort worth pursuing- although without the carbon fiber mounting system any weight gain may be negligible.

Hoping that with all of the knowledge and experience on here we would have some alternative suppliers for voile style splitboard parts and systems.

This guy seems to have some good ideas: http://www.johncarolin.com/2011/05/malo ... -hardware/

Looks like he's anglo though and I wouldn't trust the redcoats.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 am 

Even if you're going to be using Sparks there is a very good chance that a DIY setup will be lighter than a factory split..
You can improve on the voile pucks for sure, if you use an old board with your stance already dailed in you can use non adjustable selfmade pucks like Burton's or Firstlight, and make them lighter yourself. I would also look into using those with the original 4x4 insert, with maybe using a rampa screw at the back of the puck only. Or maybe one of those screws that they use for ski bindings. Less t-nuts is less weight and the 4x4 inserts will be strong enough for this if you secure the puck at the heel and toeside with a single rampa screw.

There can be a lot less t-nuts in a DIY. Compared to my Travis Rice with Voile kit, my DIY seems very minimal. There are only 6 holes on the bottom of my DIY! There are 28 holes in the bottom of my Travis Rice with Voile kit. All these are t-nuts filled with heavy epoxy, so you can imagine the weight saving.

I'm also working on a binding that mounts on pucks for this season. It will basically be a carbon version of Sparks, but made from an old Burton binding I have here.