Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fix for split(gap) down center?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:05 pm 

:?: Any ideas to fix the gap down the center of a self splitboard its between 1-2mm in places... fill with epoxy then recut? fill w/ silicon then cut w/ razor knife? I really dont want to re-adjust all the hardware if possible...will it hurt it(me) if I just ride it the way it is?
Thanks in Advance,
Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:41 pm 

I'd just leave it.

I had to "re-adjust" the inside edges of a factory splitboard because it was a factory blem and the two halfs did not sit flush. I took it to a board shop and we carfefully grineded the inside of each board half where it was needed.

It was a slow process where we would mark where it looked like it needed grinding down either by putting halves together or placing on a good flat table or workbench. Also used a long 36" ruler as a straight edge to place along the edge and see where it needed grinding.

It didn't come out perfect, but honestly, I can't tell a difference in riding performance between that board and a nice tight fitting edge.

Sounds like you'd have to do a lot of grinding if you did it the way I did and would still have to re-set the hooks.

Post subject: Don't sweat the gap
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:39 pm 

I have a 1mm gap the length of my split-boards and they are fine. They ride just fine. Don't sweat it too much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:53 am 

I had a four or five inch long gap. I put the two halves together with a sheet of wax paper between them and then I filled the irregular (not straight) side with epoxy and let it cure with the board assembled so that the sides would match perfetly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:54 pm 

not to hijack this thread, but i'd love to get a board with a big ol gap in the middle if it meant dual sidecut on each 'ski'.

i saw an early voile with massive gap that reportedly rode and skied great, but didn't sell cuz it looked like two skis. but for touring and especially spring touring i bet something like that would rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:43 pm 

dishwasher-dave wrote:
not to hijack this thread, but i'd love to get a board with a big ol gap in the middle if it meant dual sidecut on each 'ski'.

i saw an early voile with massive gap that reportedly rode and skied great, but didn't sell cuz it looked like two skis. but for touring and especially spring touring i bet something like that would rock.

I think I remember that board. I was too ignorant to know if it toured well, but I did not like the way it rode. This was due to its weird square back and massive flex I think, not the gap down the center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:15 am 

Like this one?

The thing flex's like mad but it soooo forgiving to ride and I am not looking forward to the day it finally gives up and I have to buy a new one, however a NS would be nice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:15 am 

years ago the gap was a construction detail ... :wink:

(picture has been taken at www.climb-the-mountain.com march 07)