Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Skin Care
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:50 pm 

Guys..to save your time and money..I've posted this earlier:
I've been using the "love glove" for storing my skins for 2 years and it works 100% . The only thing is I didn't spend for it 30 euros, but made it at home. Went to the shop and bought the cheapest jogging pants they had (6 euros) made of 100% polyester (microfiber). Since then I've never had any troubles with skins and I'm pulling them apart with 2 fingers:) You just need to do 1 cut +1 sewing (it takes 10 minutes) and you get the bag for skins + "beautiful" shorts extra:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 pm 

bombsaway wrote:
Has anyone had any type of skin failures while bc? If so, what happen and how did you work past it? Also, what type of temp variations can effect the performance of skins?

I've never used tail clips in 6 plus years of touring and have only had one or two failures. What I have done is add touch up glue to the tips and tails when the skin glue wears off a bit. This seems to keep the tails on the boards while touring. That said, I just got a pair of G3s so will be trying the tails clips soon.

I tour in Oregon, so the temps are usually warmer, probably allowing me to get away w/o tail clips. The few failures I did have were in colder temps with cold pow. Problem was solved by warming the skins in my jacket for a few minutes. If I toured in a colder climate, I probably would have resorted to a tail clip mod some time ago...

I like the love glove idea - may have to try that out!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm 

stoudema wrote:
bombsaway wrote:
Has anyone had any type of skin failures while bc? If so, what happen and how did you work past it? Also, what type of temp variations can effect the performance of skins?

I've never used tail clips in 6 plus years of touring and have only had one or two failures. What I have done is add touch up glue to the tips and tails when the skin glue wears off a bit. This seems to keep the tails on the boards while touring. That said, I just got a pair of G3s so will be trying the tails clips soon.

Definitely agree here. In general, try not to touch the glue on the tails too much when messing with the skins. Keep snow off of them when you're touring, and you should be good to go. Just touch up the glue on the tails occasionally. I've been using tail clips for a bit now, but only because I can. Never had any problems before, and I alway carried (still do) a couple Voile 'cam' straps just in case (to strap the skin on at the tail for the rest of the day).

Personally, I think all the hype about tail clips is a tad overemphasized.

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:05 pm 

Tomas wrote:
I've been using the "love glove" for storing my skins for 2 years and it works 100% . The only thing is I didn't spend for it 30 euros, but made it at home. Went to the shop and bought the cheapest jogging pants they had (6 euros) made of 100% polyester (microfiber). Since then I've never had any troubles with skins and I'm pulling them apart with 2 fingers:) You just need to do 1 cut +1 sewing (it takes 10 minutes) and you get the bag for skins + "beautiful" shorts extra:)

I should have done this from the beginning. Thanks bud.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:01 am 

Tomas wrote:

brilliant :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:41 am 

Great advise rolling in here, bring on the homemade methods!

So from what I can gather so far, it's the colder snow temps (and foreign elements) that can effect the skins sticking performance. And by the looks of it's the simple,cheap, lite-weight tried'n'tested methods that are the most effective.

Tomas, those shorts must look killer when spring riding comes around. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:14 am 

bombsaway wrote:
Tomas, those shorts must look killer when spring riding comes around. :thumpsup:

Never tried riding in them, so far just house painting:).. maybe will give it a try this year :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm 

Karsyn wrote:
Very simple caring tips for skin and these are:
1:Drink water more than 8 glasses in a day.
2:Eat healthy food and fresh, natural vegetables.
3: Use body cleanser and moisturising creams which keeps your skin fresh all the time.

Can't really argue with this advice :thumbsup: