Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top mount Karakoram clips!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 am 

We are stoked to announce that all our splitboards from here out will have top mounts for Karakoram and Voile clips. Image
We placed inserts in the core similar to our binding inserts that allow us to screw in from the top. The problem with the traditional bottom mount clips is the potential for water to seep in and damage the core. Our new system is a complete water tight connection. I am pretty sure we are the first manufacturer to do this but correct me if I am wrong. If you are going to be at SIA this year stop by our booth and check them out. Thanks, Adam :thumbsup:

Post subject: Re: Top mount Karakoram clips!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 am 

I have been wondering why this hadn’t been done yet? It’s about time.

Now to get a triple K clip or some type of overlap in the center of the board to help minimize the sheer effect all splits have. i use 3 K clips and wish i didn’t have to have extra holes into the center of the base. Not only does it seep water into the core of the board, but drags in the snow at least somewhat compromising the performance of the glide.

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 am 

I think the challenge in doing this is in the manufacturing tolerances that are possible with board construction. There really aren't any critical dimensions between two seperate skis that are predrilled during the ski layup. (I'm including split boards in this as two skis.) The holes are drilled after the sidewalls of the skis have been finished in order to get the spacing right and to get the clips tight. It will be interesting to see how well and consistently this is done. A slotted and adjustable tension system in the clips would solve the problem but that brings it's own weight penalties and increased complexity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 pm 

Travis Young wrote:
I have been wondering why this hadn’t been done yet? It’s about time.

+1. The original Burton splits (remember those? with the ill-fated Burton interface system) actually had inserts for the version of the split hooks they were using at the time. Always wondered why other manufacturers didn't do that for the Voile-style split hooks.

Quote:
Now to get a triple K clip or some type of overlap in the center of the board to help minimize the sheer effect all splits have. i use 3 K clips and wish i didn’t have to have extra holes into the center of the base. Not only does it seep water into the core of the board, but drags in the snow at least somewhat compromising the performance of the glide.

You could also try the old rod-through-the-touring brackets trick to stiffen it up:

See this post for more thoughts on that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm 

It was a challenge to get our alignment dialed in. We are able to get exact accuracy because we CNC every core. We don't machine two separate planks. We use one poplar plank with UHMW ptex inserted in the middle for the sidewalls once we cut the board apart after pressing.

I am not sure why other manufacturers are not doing this other than it takes more labor. To us, it was a huge weak point in splitboard construction and durability so making it work was a high priority.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm 

nice work I was thinking of using quiver killers for diys. Won't be as strong as this