Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 673
Location: mountains of portland, oregon
http://www.iguchiblog.com/2013/03/snowb ... otterbody/

_________________
https://nextadventure.net/community/blogs/chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 am
Posts: 301
Wholly next level stuff. Fitwells look like they are up to the job. Inspiring.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 636
Digging the photos. Nice work Jones and Guch!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:10 am
Posts: 1173
Location: Denver
the guch on a split? :thatrocks:

#split-it

#approachskissuckformountaineering

_________________
Phantom Bindings
Furberg Split 167
Venture Storm Split 166


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 636
chrisNZ wrote:
Wholly next level stuff. Fitwells look like they are up to the job. Inspiring.



As are Vans, Guch does it in style. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 695
Location: The Magic City
These guys definitely pulled off a rad descent in totally enviable conditions! I have to say though, I think most of the credit for this project should go to their guides Brendan Oneill and Zahan Billamoria. I grew up in Jackson and have watched Brendan progress from a Mountain High Pizza-slingin' ski bum to a badass rock climber & nationally ranked rando racer. Now he's pulling off some of the most impressive guiding feats in the country. He also just made the first descent of the Grand Teton's North Face http://www.climbing.com/news/first-ski- ... and-teton/ !

I thought the Deeper movies were supposed to be about self-supported backcountry snowboarding and adventure? Just my :twocents:, but this descent really isn't that impressive to me for the snowboarding. Apparently they had a helicopter filming them and flying low all day long as well...

As a guiding feat, it's incredible and unparalleled, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the whole legacy of the other "Deeper" films.

_________________
http://mtsplitski.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:27 pm
Posts: 1449
Location: Denver
Nit picker! :lol:

Seriously amazing. Wow...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 998
Location: Wasatch
nickstayner wrote:
These guys definitely pulled off a rad descent in totally enviable conditions! I have to say though, I think most of the credit for this project should go to their guides Brendan Oneill and Zahan Billamoria. I grew up in Jackson and have watched Brendan progress from a Mountain High Pizza-slingin' ski bum to a badass rock climber & nationally ranked rando racer. Now he's pulling off some of the most impressive guiding feats in the country. He also just made the first descent of the Grand Teton's North Face http://www.climbing.com/news/first-ski- ... and-teton/ !

I thought the Deeper movies were supposed to be about self-supported backcountry snowboarding and adventure? Just my :twocents:, but this descent really isn't that impressive to me for the snowboarding. Apparently they had a helicopter filming them and flying low all day long as well...

As a guiding feat, it's incredible and unparalleled, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the whole legacy of the other "Deeper" films.


agreed. while I think any trip down the otterbody is absolutely amazing, i'm somewhat surprised they used the guides. those guys deserve a lot of credit. when the movie comes out we will see exactly what their role was, I will be a little bummed if they are breaking trail, setting up anchors, cleaning the route, etc... for jones and iguchi. I will say I take a little pride in the fact that the tetons have shut jones down for 3 years before he was able to unlock the Grand. from the photos it looked like they went up the OS and not the normal winter ascent route of ford/stettner. the belly roll has to be fun in snowboard boots and skis/board on your back.

while I'm not trying to naysay or down play the route in any way I agree that it doesn't really seem to fit in with the whole self supported, fuck emails/cell phone theme of the deeper trilogy, I mean there is 3G on top of the grand for christsake :wink: I know I will get shit for this but I think this is just another example of play-school snowboard mountaineering from professional snowboarders. lots(ok maybe a few every year or every other year) of no-name dudes are skiing the otterbody unguided, in one day, and making it into work for their evening shift. Personally I think it would have been rad if stephen koch could have been included, if you want to talk about amazing snowboard mountaineering that dude should definitely be in the movie. and since i'm the fucking expert and nit picking this to death they should have done the hossack-mcgowan route, I hear its a double black diamond.

anyway end rant. for info on how rowdy the otterbody is, check this description here.
http://www.getstrongergolonger.com/journal/2013/3/16/my-otter-body-experience.html

_________________
"it's like having fun, only different..."
http://www.facebook.com/danzgatesphoto


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 673
Location: mountains of portland, oregon
Nick and Dan-

That's exactly what I said

I had to edit my post

Stephen Koch wouldn't have used no guide

_________________
https://nextadventure.net/community/blogs/chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 695
Location: The Magic City
christoph benells wrote:
Nick and Dan-

That's exactly what I said

I had to edit my post

Stephen Koch wouldn't have used no guide


Which post are you talking about?

_________________
http://mtsplitski.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 673
Location: mountains of portland, oregon
I feel like jones is really taking advantage of snowboarders' lack of knowledge in alpine climbing.

Why is there someone on cliff above jones but he is tied in as if he is leading? If he is leading he needs to protect that belay...

My original post, that started the thread, had to edit that, it was very opinionated at first, changed it to see others thoughts first

_________________
https://nextadventure.net/community/blogs/chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 636
christoph benells wrote:
I feel like jones is really taking advantage of snowboarders' lack of knowledge in alpine climbing.

Why is there someone on cliff above jones but he is tied in as if he is leading? If he is leading he needs to protect that belay...

My original post, that started the thread, had to edit that, it was very opinionated at first, changed it to see others thoughts first



You guys got it all figured out don't ya? Like there is some huge conspiracy going on here. Shit, I bet they did it all in front of a green screen. Drop the drama, the guys climbed and rode a serious route. They aren't claiming a first ascent, or an onsite red point blah blah blah. I'm guessing JJ is just upping his game for other objectives that he has planned and wanted to learn from some of the best guides out there. That's what the whole movie series is about, progression, and learning from others is one of the best ways to progress.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 673
Location: mountains of portland, oregon
I won't say igot it all figured out but if he's gonna put mountaineering in his movies he should at least do it right.

I already watched him on top rope on tour ronde, I'd rather watch a movie about those guides.

Oh and isn't it supposed to called higher? Isn't the grand like 12,000

_________________
https://nextadventure.net/community/blogs/chris


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group