Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

summersgone wrote:
I don't believe you couldn't do that line without guides, in that condition safely.

Double negative confusion going on here... are you saying that you don't think somebody could safely shred that line, in those conditions, without guides?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm 

+1, not for me either. But I respect those that do it. I'm not near a good enough rider for no fall terrain.
Scooby2 wrote:
It's one thing to access good snowboard terrain through climbing, but doing it to edge-set and hop turn all the way down in consequential terrain, I don't see it, I know other people do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
are you saying that you don't think somebody could safely shred that line, in those conditions, without guides?
correctomondo. Guess thats why I chose math as a major... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 pm 

Hmmm… Lots of criticism from people here who have not descended the Otter Body route via snowboard.
I too talked to Skier Con Queso about his witnessing of the descent, and indeed, the guides did help JJ and Guch to make the descent, but, no guides made the turns for them, and neither were they belayed during the descent. The Otter Body exposes one to certain death falls, on very steep terrain; while it may be easy to sit on the sideline and critique Jones and Guch's descent, I would suggest that some here might attempt the line themselves before being so critical.

Jackson locals: has the Otter Body had a significant number of snowboard descents previously?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 am 

Damn, I just checked out the blog. Those guys are stoked, and probably pretty puckered too. I understand what some are saying about mountaineering verses riding and videos verses documentaries. I can't really comprehend the scope of big missions to this extent. I see things like this as one guy really living life: I'm going to learn as much as I can, go as big as I can, and have a camera along for my trip. Wish I had my own beer commercial for being a famous splitboarder, come on man!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 am 

All I seen when I clicked the link was rad photos?

What's the stats on the otter body? Looks steep, but not overly crazy.

I'm loving what them guys are doing regardless. Definatly inspiring.

I'd also like to see some more on the guides. Maybe more like in the fashion of dirty jobs or deadliest catch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 am 

summersgone wrote:
nickstayner wrote:
are you saying that you don't think somebody could safely shred that line, in those conditions, without guides?
correctomondo. Guess thats why I chose math as a major... :lol:

Then I guess I don't understand how that adds up... sorry for math pun :D . Why do you believe that line can't be descended safely without guides? Prior to Jones's descent it had been done a number of times over the last 20 years.

Ale- wasatchsurf posted this link a while back: http://www.getstrongergolonger.com/jour ... ience.html
...different perspective on the route that gives some of the info you ask about.

Story of the first descent, by one of the first descentionists: http://www.jhskier.net/2013/01/28/grand ... 5556640625

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 am 

Thanks nick.

Got the stats, but saved the story for a later read. Sounds like a fun line when you get it in the right conditions.
So what if a guide solo's it? Would that be considered doing it with a guide?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am 

My main thought was that in those conditions, a guide was needed for them to do the line safely, and good enough conditions for your viewing pleasure. I think criticizing have a guide is stupid. It sounds like it was 48hrs after a significant storm, in perfect conditions. Since JJ isn't in the Teton's every day, making that call without a guide I think would be madness. The guides probably have been reading the terrain all year and have a better intimate knowledge of the routes, conditions, etc, way more than an outsider like JJ. It's my understanding that he has a few spots picked out at any given time, and makes the call last minute based on the conditions. Also, gooch is not really a mountaineer and I expect that he needed the guide more than JJ. Just my :twocents: Props to them though.

I do think the guides should have more spotlight than they do. And I'm pretty sure every trip, JJ has had a guide crew, so lets not confuse what hes doing. Hes a sick snowboarder, riding faster than you, in better conditions, in epic locations. And I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am 

alright here we go.

I think jeremy jones is a pretty shit snowboarder, there are scores of guys that can ride circles around him. what I do like about him is he is on his own timeline, riding what he wants, and not letting sponsors dictate his career. for that he has my upmost respect.

I think TGR is a load of shit. No doubt they get some great footage, but I really really hate how everything is over dramatized with the most repetitive themes. I get it the line is scary, you sacrificed a lot to get here and you are scared but ready to gnar-kill the line, turn-turn-air, high fives, fuck yeah bro!, credits, wyoming sticker. I just summarized every TGR movie. There are lot of people behind the scenes in the TGR movies that don't really seem to get much credit. In a case like this where the ascent and descent was made possible by guides I just really hope that they are included in the movie and get the credit they deserve.

the route is gnarly, exposure on everyturn and then a really good chance of getting blasted by wetslides while you are on the last two rappels. major props to JJ and iguchi, for anyone that hasn't been on top of the grand the location and exposure is absolutely incredible. I cannot even imagine what it would feel like to make turns off of the top. so everyone can relax and pull jj's dick out of your mouth, I am not trying to take anything away from him. He is a better rider than I will ever be and i'm not really sure I will ever have the mental strength to ride lines with so much exposure so my hat is off to him.

my point is-this is not really a noteworthy ascent/descent from a teton ski mountaineering perspective, or a splitboard/snowboard perspective(i'm guessing there are only a handful of snowboards that have been down that route, but when your guides are on skis and setting up all of the anchors and ropework I don't think you can really claim it as a true splitboarding descent). Also a lot of people are doing much more impressive stuff in the teton's but no helicopters are filming them, no one is blogging about it, and they are not getting mulitpage threads about them on obscure message boards.

I love the teton's, I love splitboarding, and I love watching quality footage so I really hope that it is included in the next movie, I just hope it is represented for what it is and the proper people get credit. I agree that having a guide can be invaluable I just want that message to be included in the movie as more times than not it gets left out.

anyway i'm a nerd and have a man crush of a lot of the local ski mountaineering dudes, I look up to them way more than any snowboarder and I really feel that the ski mountaineering scene is so far ahead of the snowboard mountaineering scene. I know most of you won't give of shit because they wear tights, are on skis, and look like dorks, but I would rather watch a movie on this than a 2day guided trip on the grand. To each their own.
http://jasondorais.blogspot.com/2011/06/6-4-2011-grand-middle-and-south-tetons.html
http://slcsherpa.blogspot.com/2011/06/grand-teton-ski-descent-speed-record.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 am 

barrows wrote:
Hmmm… Lots of criticism from people here who have not descended the Otter Body route via snowboard.
I too talked to Skier Con Queso about his witnessing of the descent, and indeed, the guides did help JJ and Guch to make the descent, but, no guides made the turns for them, and neither were they belayed during the descent. The Otter Body exposes one to certain death falls, on very steep terrain; while it may be easy to sit on the sideline and critique Jones and Guch's descent, I would suggest that some here might attempt the line themselves before being so critical.

Jackson locals: has the Otter Body had a significant number of snowboard descents previously?

the criticism is not on the descent. they are obviously on their own and noone can make the turns for you.

the criticism is on the the fact that jones gets so much credit, he is "adventurer of the year!" but is following around the people who are much more experienced than he is, which get no credit at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

Christoph:

I think, and I guess we just have different perspectives on this. My feeling is that Jeremy has never claimed to be bad ass snowboard mountaineer (say on the order of guys like Jerome Ruby, Dede Rhem, Marco Siffredi, Stephen Koch, David Cappozzi, etc), in fact, he displayed his mountaineering limitations quite obviously in the Cham segment of "Deeper", as well as expressing humility, and down right fear right there on camera.
What he is doing is trying to learn, and he is challenging himself by getting out of his own comfort zone (big lines in perfect powder) and venturing into areas he has much less experience with. I suspect many folks on this forum are more accomplished mountaineers, and snowboard mountaineers, than Jeremy Jones is; but he is pushing his own limits and getting out there. AND, he is trying to make an entertaining film we can watch. I am not sure what "credit" he is taking unjustly? I personally give JJ tons of props for finding a way to earn a living through snowboarding, and doing it, for the most part, the way he wants to; I was never able to pull that off.
I do get a little tired of the hyperbole in all the TGR films, Deeper, and Further are a little better, as they do express riders getting in dangerous spots, and being afraid, rather than just charging stuff with no attention paid to what is going on behind the scenes. While some of the stuff in Deeper and Further does bother me (such as suggesting that no one has ever made a basecamp deep in AK before, this has been going on since the late 80s) I do appreciate that these movies are show casing an entirely different aspect of snowboarding than almost anything which has come before.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11 pm 

Barrows, for your earlier question, I know John Griber has shredded the Otterbody. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of Teton ski historians about any other snowboard descents.

You make some other good points too. Good on him for making a living snowboarding without selling himself out. Agreed that Jones also deserves props for helping bring a different aspect of snowboarding to mainstream consciousness. And more importantly than both of these things, he's used his relative fame to become an influential force for positive change in the American political climate (think P.O.W.).

I'm definitely not trying to attack him or anyone else. I only happen to think the whole story is way more interesting that just two professional snowboarders getting guided up and down the Grand Teton. The vision, confidence in conditions and abilities, knowledge and logistics that come together for a successful ascent and descent of that magnitude is absolutely awesome. I portered for Exum when Doug Coombs made the first guided ski descent of the Grand back in May or June 2004 and remember thinking what badasses these guys were. It's truly amazing to see how far they've come!

No disrespect intended to Jeremy Jones or the Guch in any of my posts. And to be fair, there are probably a very small number of skiers/snowboarders for which the guides would have even entertained this as a possibility.

I guess my point is that for Brendan and Zahan to think, "Yeah, a guided ascent of the Owen-Spaulding/descent of the Otterbody is totally doable in powder conditions" is, to me, the most inspiring and interesting component of this whole episode.

For those interested in the amount of planning, patience, and confidence that went into making the first descent of the Otterbody, an article from this year's Jackson Hole Skier: http://www.jhskier.net/2013/01/28/grand ... ug-coombs/

[/end blathering]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next