Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi Day Tours With ABS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 pm 

Hey guys.

Heading out for a couple of months into Kyrgyzstan and i'm wondering if anyone takes a ABS/Snowpulse out for multi day tours?

My main issue is space. Gear list is pretty huge and i would usually be traveling with a 70L pack.

I'm pretty keen to have an ABS with me out there but not sure how to make it work. Any ideas? Currently have a 15L Snowpulse ProRider.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Multi Day Tours With ABS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 pm 

I usually have a big backpack with everything I take and somehow strap the small ABS pack on to it. Then I set up a base camp, leave the gear there and ride with the ABS and whatever I need for the ride (avy stuff, food, water, etc).
I guess you won't be always touring with all 70L of gear? Your situation sounds like you will setup the main base camp, then go somewhere with a subset of your gear for a few days, setup the local base camp there and go riding around. I suggest you to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac :doobie:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:18 pm 

ask yourself if/how your behaviour is affected by having your airbag. more impulsive decision making in avy terrain? confidence higher such as when wearing a helmet? that should shed some light on your situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:24 am 

moridinbg wrote:
I usually have a big backpack with everything I take and somehow strap the small ABS pack on to it. Then I set up a base camp, leave the gear there and ride with the ABS and whatever I need for the ride (avy stuff, food, water, etc).
I guess you won't be always touring with all 70L of gear? Your situation sounds like you will setup the main base camp, then go somewhere with a subset of your gear for a few days, setup the local base camp there and go riding around. I suggest you to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac :doobie:

I usually travel with one pack that has a extendable roll top to make it 70L while touring into base camp and after unpacking "Stuff" :lol: i compress it down to around 40L for daily touring.

Guess i could downsize pack and last ABS to it. Will give it a try.

nordicbordn wrote:
ask yourself if/how your behaviour is affected by having your airbag. more impulsive decision making in avy terrain? confidence higher such as when wearing a helmet? that should shed some light on your situation.

I wouldn't say my behaviour is influenced into a more risky decision because of the ABS. Its just another safety measure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 am 

Depending on the terrain, if you just need to hump your gear into a basecamp you could always consider using a ski pulk and then wear your ABS pack.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 am 

I had thought about a sled. It would probably be my favoured option but travelling with it by plane was my issue.