Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: East Coast (Vermont) Splitfest
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:41 am 

Hey gang,

So I did a search and appears as though their have been a lot of talk about making one happen, but none have panned out. So I wanted to see if people a) were really interested in one, and b) volunteer to spearhead the effort to organize one.

Here's what I am thinking. Base it in the Waterbury/Stowe Area. It provides access to a diverse selection of terrain. There would also be great Apres options.

Target dates: March 2015

Weekend Agenda:
Demos
Two days of tours
Clinic for people who want to learn about splitboarding
Saturday night party
Fundraising Raffle for gear and swag (raise funds for something like Vermont BackCountry Alliance or CTA)

Let me know what you think, if you interested, or if you want to help.

Post subject: Re: East Coast (Vermont) Splitfest
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm 

How about Zealand Hut?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm 

Couldn't agree more. I have been thinking about the idea myself too. The Waterbury area sounds prime. Pinkham notch could also be a great option too. This would be an excellent opportunity to congregate the east coast splitboard community. I'm definitely in on this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

I actually had the same thought about Pinkham Notch. Would be good, but for a lot of the terrain the weather is so finicky up there. March in Vermont, we have a pretty good shot of having good snow in the back country. Also, I figured at the very least if we wanted to get involvement from brands at all for demos etc, It would be right in Burton and Rome's backyard.

Pinkham Notch area might be worth considering for future years, but for an inaugural festival, Waterbury/Stowe seemed like the easiest to pull off.

Chef Ben, Looked into Zealand Hut, looks awesome, but would love to have the opportunity for Demos etc. Doing in the back country might eliminate that and reduce turnout.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:26 pm 

Just wanted to share my experience having organized 3 years of backcountry (skin-in) Splitfests... if you can get a local shop on board to be the 'hub' of activity prior to the event, you can organize demos, etc. out of the shop and that way you won't have to deal with demos at the event, and can focus solely on your event. Which will make your life a lot easier.

Just my :twocents: ... Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:41 am 

Yea totally. OGE/burton shops should be helpful . We should definitely start planning this out. Its a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:22 pm 

It would be cool to see this come to fruition. Alex, as you know, you could get some ideas from the Get out and backcountry folks at Bolton. Backcountry mag also does the backcountry basecamp. If this were on a weekend, we'd be hard pressed to make it since thats when we make our money at the restaraunt. But who knows--put us down as tentative.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:09 am 

Screw turn-out, better bet is having quality base camp. Also, more centralized in New England.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:48 pm 

Cool thanks for all of the advice and tips. After a busy spring, I'm going to move forward with this, so that we can start promoting when folks are getting powder hungry in the fall, and through out the winter.

Good call with reaching out to CTA/VTBC and a gear shop, I'll do some outreach. Let me know if anyone has any connections.

Also, does anybody know a good web person? I'd can make a decent word press, but I would love to have it look a little sharper than that.

Let me know if anyone else wants to help out in any other way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 pm 

I will defiantly be interested in helping to set this up. This would be a great event.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 am 

I would be interested in this. I don't split much because i live in ct where the conditions aren't great. I take my splitboard sometimes when i go on trips but it would be nice to learn more about splitting in new england. Some one mentioned making it more centrally located, like where? It would need to be somewhere likely to have decent conditions. Typically that means North. If doing it in the Stowe area how about using Darkside Snowboards for a shop? If i remember correctly they have a decent size parking lot. I think mr burton owns a market or something near there too. What about avy courses?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:20 pm 

If this goes down, I am in and can/will bring 2 or 3 other ppl with me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 am 

Outdoor gear exchange and the burton shops could for sure be helpful. In addition, there are a couple great shops/business's in the A'Daks that promote splitboarding. Also, a couple shops in NH maybe helpful as well, such as IME and Lahouts. Definitely keep us posted on this. Stoked on this fantastic idea.