Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: East Coast (Vermont) Splitfest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 am 

It may also be a great idea to start a Facebook page like, "Splitboarders of the NorthEast". This would definitely be a great way to get the word out, if we can get a bunch of east coast splitters to like it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:06 pm 

Hey everyone, so this is happening!

Right now I can say it's on for Waterbury (this will give us access to LOTS of great terrain) the weekend of March 13th-15th (when we have the most snow and consistently solid snow conditions). We have some cool sponsors on board (more on that once I lock in some final details), and it should be a blast.

I'm currently getting marketing materials together so we can go public in September when everyone really starts to get powder fever.

If folks want to help out some things we're looking for to kick things into high gear.

1. A graphic designer to come up with a sweet logo, and flyer
2. Photos or Video content that we can use to promote New England splitboarding and the festival.
3. Anything else you'd like to do make the event better (message me if you want to get involved).

Also, quick poll questions. Should we call the event:

New England Splitfest or New England Backcountry Snowboard Fest (to try and get more riders into splitboarding)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:08 pm 

Done!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/323594074473459/

Thanks to @rightsider for the first group image

We've been planning a round trip race for sometime, and one thing or another gets in the way...

But there are sponsors on board and the idea was to do a little mini-fest with demos, etc. and maybe host an AIARE beforehand, as well.

Happy to collaborate with others on this endeavor...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 pm 

I vote splitfest, it is what it is!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 am 

Wow- that's an auspicious simultaneous post!

I hadn't read what you wrote XC until today...

We also have willing hosts at smugglers notch, with some excellent terrain for demos and the race, depending in what you have in mind for Waterbury.

Anyways- maybe even a physical organizers meeting is in order to hash out some details?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 am 

@Earth Surfing just sent you a message. Definitely sounds like we should put our heads together!

-Alex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 am 

Correct me if i am mistaked but aren't stowe and smuggs backed up to eachother? I think i recall seeing the top of mount mansfield from smuggs last year when the sun came out. What a trip that was. Scored a brand new presidential suite through a friend of my moms and it snowed 2 out of 4 days i was there. Brought my split and went up the first evening we arrived. To bad about their uphill policy though, only a couple hours before and after lifts hours. Smart from a safety stand point but i had hoped to skin up in the dark and watch the sun rise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:14 am 

yes- stowe is mansfield and the south facing slopes of what they call 'spruce peak'. Smuggs, is sterling ('spruce peak' north side), madonna, and morse montains, all of the north facing slopes east of the notch.

the uphill policy at smuggs is the unfortunate result of one asshole in particular and will likely improve again with mutual respect and self-policing in the active backcounty community in the area... otherwise a very split-friendly area

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm 

Quick Poll:

So it looks like we'll move the location to a Mountain base (easier logistically), but still want to make sure there is access to quality tours that require splits. Thoughts on Smuggs Vs. Bolton Valley?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:32 pm 

Bolton accesses some awesome terrain!

Mostly true tours, tho- in that you end up somewhere other than where you started...

(Such as from bolton towards Trapp Family Lodge area or Bolton down to Waterbury Resevoir.)

Could be a plus or a minus, depending.

Smuggs a nice circuit to/ from one base, but the drawback is its all very accessible as side country so there's more traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:18 am 

are you guys serious!

why don't you just call each other and all go snowboarding on a mountain.

its a goddamn split fest.

take the fucking resorts out of it.

meet at under hill state park and hike from there.

don't make it easy thats not the point, crowds suck, solitude is heart.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:31 am 

While I agree with you about the heart, Ben- I think what's needed is a little 'Goals Articulation' for the event.

If we're looking to do demos and outreach to people who aren't already splitting, then I would disagree. Plus, most people would also be coming with family members, etc. who may not necessarily be into meeting in the 'middle of nowhere', but having access to lodge, lifts, etc. makes this a family event.

If we just want to get the bros together- then - well that's another story- but I can say for a fact our sponsors and demo reps are much less interested in that...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:40 pm 

i dont understand, then you can't call it a splitfest. call it a split-clinic.

so I've only been to one other splitfest, the canuck up at roger's pass in 2012 and there were a lot of sponsors there and demo reps and the whole thing was about getting into the backcountry safely, all those guys were out ripping it everyday, and getting to see some amazing terrain in BC canada powered by my determination to earn my turns.

if there is a splitfest here in new england then we should be featuring some dope ass hike-to backcountry that everyone is stoked to explore.

if your reps want people to demo boards and then keep em in bounds (exaggeration) then drop 'em.

am i completely wrong here? i think what we are going to be doing to the new england splitfest is embarrassing.

middle of nowhere, adventure, calculated risks, NO LIFTS

earthsurfing wrote:
a little 'Goals Articulation'

i had to look up what this meant and i got this off google from a VT farm

"Goals Articulation
The following is a distillation of the goals articulation process as described by Dave Jacke and Eric Tonesmier in
Edible Forest Gardens volume 2.
In order to develop designs that best meet the needs of the individual (or client) it is essential to clearly articulate one’s short and long-term design goals. We obviously cannot begin our design work without a direction in which to steer things - if we do, chance rather than foresight, takes hold of the reins. Goals help us integrate the various elements that will serve our needs, and they also help guide our decision-making. They speed up the process of design and implementation, help ensure details are thoroughly researched, help to re- orient us when suffering from ‘designer’s block’, prevent wasted effort and sharpen our focus in observing our site."

id like to know what the short/long term goals we are setting out to accomplish, there is no reason i won't attend this every year that its held, so i feel this isn't an unfair question.