Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:16 am 

i've gotta concur w/ tk above... powertools the norm??? very unlikely.

i'm also getting tired of hearing east coasters call the sidecountry at resorts the 'bc'.

you all REALLY need to get out, away from the resorts, and start sniffing around a bit. you may be surprised at what you find. riding lifts to access terrain just outside resort boundaries isn't truly the 'bc', at least back east. these days, that stuff gets tracked out quicker than your grandpa's underwear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:48 am 

vtbackcountry wrote:
i've gotta concur w/ tk above... powertools the norm??? very unlikely.

Exactly what i said... People normally just trim... No need to cut down trees... Same goes with singletrack trails... We hardly ever cut down any trees. We try and get the more flow possible by going around trees any bigger then 2-3in in diameter.

vtbackcountry wrote:
you all REALLY need to get out, away from the resorts, and start sniffing around a bit. you may be surprised at what you find. riding lifts to access terrain just outside resort boundaries isn't truly the 'bc', at least back east. these days, that stuff gets tracked out quicker than your grandpa's underwear...

Big Jay is really SIDECOUNTRY... But it's as close as backcountry as most people will get. Backcountry culture isn't as good on the east coast as it is on the west side of the continent. Finding the right gear, getting to know about what is required is harder here... You don't get to know that many people that are into it. I know you made your way around Camel's Hump a lot last season as i would have loved to join in because i've never been out there... I know the Jay area because i've been there for most of my life... Big Jay didn't see that much action 15 years ago... "Backcountry" on the east coast is growing... But the sad thing is that most people think they're up for it... That's why you see so many people being lost in the woods of Jay each year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am 

Quote:
So its ok if only "they" notice it? I don't want to notice 100 year-old road cuts or more recent handy work.

It's a slippery slope ain't it? We (western culture) have been impacting the east coast of this country for over 500 years now. If you are out in the woods anywhere east of the Mississippi and you can't find any sign of human impact, you've found a truly rare place indeed, my friend. On this point we may have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
The act of chipping holds maybe. You are creating or altering runs just as someone chipping holds is creating or altering routes. This behavior isn't considered acceptable in the climbing community and it shouldn't fly in ours either.

Absolutely not the same thing. As soon as you lay hand to rock, or foot to earth, you've left a mark on the earth. The Access Fund doesn't exist because too many people were chipping holds, the exist because our very act of being in or using wild places impacts them, and it's our responsibility to take care of them. I would equate this more to bolting. It's not okay to spray bolts all over a face that is climbable with natural pro, but there are some places where the larger community accepts responsible use of bolts. In North America at least. The UK is different. Societies set their own values.

To sum up, it's fair for you to say that you believe trimming is never acceptable. That's a great thing to aspire to. In New England, the skiing society, at this time, has decided that trimming is acceptable. I was trying to communicate my understanding of the prevailing ethic here and what is deemed reasonable and what is deemed not. to borrow a phrase from my neighbors to the north "Live Free or Die."

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 pm 

got it, right on eric...

cool, so it seems like most of us have at least found a consensus on this one. these guys were totally smoking crack. and let it be known that their now called 'jailbird' chute is a really HORRIBLE line. at least they could have gotten that right if they were all out going for it.

so get out there, far away from the lifts, and find your own little piece of heaven. there's tons of terrain in n. vt, and the VERY BEST is right there IN the trees.

you can pm me for some inside info on good areas if you want --

peace - vtbc