Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Voile Product Announcement Nov 23rd
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:45 am 

My first few years splitting I'd bend over and flip my heel riser. It never seemed efficient to me. If I was already tired I'd usually lose my breath and have to take a few seconds to gain myself before starting off. I feel like using your pole actually lets you gain a quick breath so that you never get winded. I'm probably over thinking it and maybe its just that I'm a big fuck, but bending over sucks, especially gripped on a steep side slope in whiteout conditions over cliffs.

Somebody in a post above said that they don't feel wanting as far as two climbing bar heights go, +1 until I see 2 bar dudes flying by me.

Killclimbz wrote:
I always access my risers with my pole. Just flip it over and use the handle to pop them up. Not so sure it'll be as effective with the double post, bit it will certainly work on the higher riser.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 am 

budge wrote:
hmmm I'll try em if someone fires out a free pair.. actually I probably wouldn't bother. Days are too valuable to potentially strap into an untested day wrecker. I'll keep watching for what all you folks have to say!
Good Luck

Dont you think Voile has has had these things tested extensively? :scratch:

I agree on the bent metal portion, not a huge fan. They feel sloppy compared to my cartels on the solid board.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 am 

I always access my risers with my pole. Just flip it over and use the handle to pop them up. Not so sure it'll be as effective with the double post, bit it will certainly work on the higher riser.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 am 

budge wrote:
I can't imagine that the highbacks, ratchets and straps could be a downgrade from the Bent Metal stuff, it would be hard to run the bar lower than that!!!

I'm surprised to read this. I've been running bent metals or gnu bindings for 8 seasons now on my non split boards and have been very happy with them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:06 am 

NOOBin' out here I guess hahaha... cheers folks. Got mountains to climb, I'll be back to check the rad vid on popping my heel lifters with my pole when I start struggling to touch my toes :thumpsup: .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:46 pm 

that heel tab on the voile set up looks like the same thing as the slider plate. the ease with which my slider tabs have been cracking makes me wonder about the wisdom of repeating the design on the binding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:46 pm 

Here's my take. First off, I respect innovators of the sport, and Will is just that in my opinion. Voile have their part in it too, and I think it's good for any business to put products out to push the envelope with respects to engineering improvements, etc. Also, it'll attract other splitters, which I think is great for the community.

That being said, here's my only gripe. I don't know if Will has an agreement with Voile when he put his binding out, and he doesn't seem to have a patent of "the splitboard binding" in the same way that Voile has a patent on the "splitboard". I just hope they (voile) are being supportive to him as an integral part of the industry, and move to being supportive to new split companies coming up, rather than scrubbing them off with huge licensing fees, and simple "no, we aren't selling licenses to any new companies". Just my opinion. Business is business I guess, but let's not ruin the sport with dollar signs like the snowboarding industry. again, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:35 pm 

Zak wrote:
Hey bcrider - what's the story with the touring brackets in that pic?

x2!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:24 pm 

So what happens when you pull the "avy rip cord" on one binding but miss the other? Too bad it's not one pull for both bindings. Boo on the rip cord idea.

Think the Fuse II will include a swiss cheese baseplate?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:12 pm 

Trivia Factoid: "Trax" is the name of the "Light Rail" system here in Salt Lake.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 am 

danengel wrote:
I gotta agree with wasatch surf. The dual climbing heel is the real innovative product here. Skiers have had them for years, but not splitboarders. Nice work Voile!!!

I've got dual climbing bars on my splitter. Just because something is made for skiers doesn't mean that snowboarders can't use it too. I mounted a set of G3 heel pads (w/ dual bars) on my Divide and it works flawlessly. I agree, though, the split specific model is less bulky and appears to be a bit lighter.

.........Oh, and Fuse FTW. The Light Rails don't look all that durable. I've broken at least three pairs of BM "Step Ins" (the all aluminum models) over the years and that base looks like failure to me. They're definitely a step in the right direction for Voile and I'm sure they'll work for 95% of the folks out there, just not for someone who's 6'5" and 230# without gear (me :wink: ).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 am 

BCrider... what a gear whore you are :drool: ... P.S. I heart gear whores :thumpsup:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:30 am 

Hey bcrider - what's the story with the touring brackets in that pic?

Various Chimera prototypes
TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next