Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: welcome to arizona
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 pm 

despite ending up in arizona when i returned from new zealand in january, i have found myself touring primarily in california. but thanks to this forum, i knew that there was an active community of splitboarders in flagstaff, so after the latest storm, i decided it was time to check out those snow-tipped mountains that keep catching my gaze in the distance. i arrived in flagstaff in time to get some beta from ricorides, who had been out at 5am that morning for a pre-dawn patrol.

by 9 the next morning, i was atop agassiz peak with troy "splitchimp" and james, another board member of the kachina peaks avy center.

you can't be too careful when dropping into a line known to locals as "snowslide".

from 12,000 ft, james shows me the way down my first arizona descent.

as the steep upper bowl funneled into a narrow canyon, i was relieved to be certain of the snow stability.

not wanting to track up our next run, we set a skin track up through the dense trees on an adjacent slide path.

and traversed into our objective--"jay's slide"

after another thorough snowpit, james took the first descent.

it may not have been deep enough to bury a house, but the snow was nothing less than powder.

my companions were kind enough to shoot a few photos of my descent...

and a video...

splitchimp took the third descent, but there was still plenty of pow.

we climbed back up to the ridge and booted our way towards the summit of fremont peak, where in fading light we dropped into a steep slide path known as "deception". near the bottom, evidence of last years' massive slides became more and more obvious...

we arrived at the bottom in time to watch a bit of sunset...

um, wait a minute, it's how many miles back to the car??!

as the hours wore on, the snow became thinner and the "skinning" slower...

but we still made it back to my van before 10pm, and somehow had enough energy to crack open some beers.

if you woke up to this view the next day, you'd forget your sore legs and feel like breaking some trail, too!
(note: i believe our deception run is the main slide path that runs looker's right of the highest peak and then cuts back to the left under the saddle. my van was parked far out of the frame to the left.

with all my potential companions occupied by "work", i set out alone to explore the high elevation trees of humphry's peak.

after much trail-breaking i spotted these trees in the distance and decided it was time to boot over some rocks.

the ensuing run was nothing short of kick ass pow in amusingly dense steep trees. so fun, in fact, that i couldn't bring myself to stop. the only proof i can offer of its quality is the fact that i decided to consume my "emergency stash" of food and put in a new direct skin track back to the top instead of going straight to the bar as i'd originally planned...

i heard today that my skin track has since been found and followed, so perhaps another flagstaff rider can offer photographic proof of how fun this tree run is... but suffice it to say that i turned around at 4:20pm, took the appropriate precautions and rode directly back to my van, with plenty of time to join rico at the bar and my girlfriend at the expendables show in flagstaff that evening.

if anyone tells you that there's no good touring in arizona, you can tell them with certainty that they just haven't met the right locals yet. much gratitude to rick, troy, and james for your hospitality; thanks for showing a visitor around your awesome home mountain. much love to kachina!
(oh yeah and thanks for your photos that i stole)

Post subject: Re: welcome to arizona
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm 

Nice.
That line in your note is actually the Monte V. Chute, aka Rick's Line. Rick made that line much larger after triggering an avalanche that killed him in the mid 90's. Determination (not in view) comes off the N.E. side of Fremont Peak, lookers right of that picture.... Looks like winter may be over. Maybe some corn turns next week...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 am 

Bs. your welcome back anytime, i'm glad you had such good snow (except for the skin out). Thanks again for doing the slave labor on that up track in the trees, steep but nice and direct. that area was still excellent saturday morning. splitChimp met me out there for my 2nd run on the next ridge north, just as fun.

maybe you can get up here for some corn runs sometime?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 am 

hell, between the throwback dew and the aesthetic trees, putting in that skin track was fun! glad you guys found it and got some laps on that snow while it was still good. if i can get my van running before the eastside split party, i'll be back for some corn turns for sure!

thanks both of you for your hospitality towards an out-of-towner! now if only surfers were as friendly and welcoming as splitboarders.......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:43 am 

This looks awesome!! I can't wait to get out into the SF peaks this season. If any of you flag riders want to meet up this winter..send me a message! Just bought my 1st splitboard (noob I know), took my avy 1 last year with love joy and KPAC, and getting my WFR this January. Got all the other essentials too. Peace

Gabe