Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quickie TR: Find your happy place (Lake Tahoe 4/16/2011)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm 

Date: April 16, 2011

Weather: As pleasant as you can imagine

Conditions: Organic and pure

Riders: liketoride and SchralphMacchio

Music: Talking Heads - Heaven

FIND YOUR HAPPY PLACE

You're in a dentist's chair, in another 3 hour corporate meeting gone on way too long, in an overstuffed transit traincar during rush hour next to a smelly fat guy, on a crowded downtown street filled wall to wall with screeching buses, rattling trolleys, loud crazy people. Just close your eyes and retreat to your happy place.

You already know this place. This is a place that never ceases to put a smile on your face, a place that never ceases to clear your mind and stop time. This is a place where nothing else is happening. Go there.

Once you're there, just kick back ...

... and take in the little things that make life just that much more enjoyable.

In that place every turn of your head and you find another little slice of paradise. There is always a new perspective with which to look at something you've seen a million times before and still find something fresh.

The possibilities in life are endless and there's always gonna be another thing to accomplish, learn, enjoy, experience - and that's a refreshing thought for sure.

But part of being in that happy place is appreciating and enjoying what, who you've got right in front of you.

The smelly fat guy, the angry customer, the chance you might get laid off or that daunting health problem - there are plenty of obstacles and distractions in life. But they're all navigable when you return to your center and focus.

Focus on those things that are most pure, like that feeling of floating on a cloud, rocking to a rhythm, pushing off and pulling in.

Soon you'll open your eyes and be back in it, back down from your own little place, but those feelings won't have left you. They'll carry you through your commute, your meeting, your challenge - no matter how trivial or consequential - and tomorrow those worries will have been yesterday's memories.

Happy 4/20!

Post subject: Re: Quickie TR: Find your happy place (Lake Tahoe 4/16/2011)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 am 

:thumpsup:

Nice to see you BOTH back on the skintrack! Nice pics!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:23 pm 

Awesome pics. I rode Jakes and Sector 20 couloir on 4/11-4/12...conditions were excellent...although we touched off some big and slow wet slides in Sector 20.

Peace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:05 pm 

Mr. Macchio,
I saw you guys up there that day. I was sitting on that rock up near the summit and I saw you come up over the south side and I thought "that looks like a skinny Asian splitboarder with a history of lung problems ... I wonder if that's Señor Schralp?" But I was too lazy to walk over and say hi. For some reason I thought I'd drop that northeast side, and, man, that was a stupid move. traversed back over to the south east facing side and got some great corn turns.

Glad you are all healed up and back out in the backcountry....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:17 pm 

hellyeah, good to see you back in action! :rock:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 pm 

Looks like you definitely found your happy place there.... Glad to see you getting after it... Nice scenics too.. Well captured, and well written...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:10 pm 

Greenhorn wrote:
Mr. Macchio,
I saw you guys up there that day. I was sitting on that rock up near the summit and I saw you come up over the south side and I thought "that looks like a skinny Asian splitboarder with a history of lung problems ... I wonder if that's Señor Schralp?" But I was too lazy to walk over and say hi. For some reason I thought I'd drop that northeast side, and, man, that was a stupid move. traversed back over to the south east facing side and got some great corn turns.

Glad you are all healed up and back out in the backcountry....

Hah! I was too far away to recognize you. I let Buffy go ahead to pick which chute she wanted to drop while I was futzing with my Voile crampons and lost her on the ridge. When I saw your dog I thought it was her dog Kiva and she was up there, but then I saw you up there got confused ... turns out I skinned right past her. I'm very glad to be back as well :)

96avs01 wrote:
hellyeah, good to see you back in action! :rock:

Yeah man, you too! Was going to comment in your TR last night ... Your trip was a little bigger than mine :D