Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Hood-Shreddin Volcanos part III
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:14 pm 

Here is a link to my recent climb and snowboard descent of Mt. Hood in Oregon.

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com/Mt-Hood.html

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Mt. Hood-Shreddin Volcanos part III
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm 

Good read, Hood is on my list to do and I only want to do it more now! How was the snow for the most part on the way down for riding? did it not get slushy until the end?
I just did st. helens and the top half was great but it got slushy pretty quick and wasn't as fun

Crazy you were up there with the girl the got injured by the ice block that fell, I remember hearing about that the next day.
Glad you enjoyed the Pacific Northwest and stay safe out there!

[edit]
Oh, and what tent is that? is the the NF mountain 25?
I almost got that tent last year when I was looking at tents but got the Mountain Hardwear EV2 instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:43 pm 

Glad you liked the tr. Snow was variable on the way down. From the summit ridge down to the crater it was hard and had not even started to think about thawing (which made for pretty technical riding conditions in the steep stuff). From the crater down to camp at 9100 it corned up pretty nicely and then from camp down to the car (through the ski area) was a slushy mess. It was a beautiful climb and ride though. Yeah the girl was injured probably an hour before we got there. She was still there when we left too. It looked like a long, painful evac. One of the guys we were hanging out with up there that was guiding the group when it happened said that ice just started tumbling and he yellew avalanche and started dragging his clients that were roped to him out of the way (no reason for a rope if you know how to snow climb and self arrest competantly, just a typical guided group thing there I think). They just barely missed getting hit and the other girl was not so lucky. The tent we used was a 4 season North Face tent, not sure which model. It is Mike's girlfriend's tent actually. It worked very well though. I would recommend it for this type of thing for sure. Zach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 pm 

Nice work - love Hood! Seems like everytime I go up the south route though someone gets hurt from falling ice and/or rockfall. Gotta' love the 5000 vertical though this late in the year :D Nice work on all the PNW volcanoes!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:53 am 

hood is good! not to be a hater but next time do cooper spur, wy'east face or newton clark headwall. old chute is good, but full of gapers getting hit by ice fall and roping up for no reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 pm 

christoph benells- Yeah, I would definetely do a different route next time. I must say all the roped up "clients" thing was pretty funny. We were thoroughly amused and got a late enough start to avoid most of them anyway. There were some nice steep climbing/riding pitches up high though. Hood was a spur of the moment, end of the trip thing so that was just the route we got the most information from and figured would be the easiest to climb with a short period of time and no familiarity with the area before heading home. Cooper Spur and wy'east face look sick though. They are on the list for next time.