Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lyngen Alps - Troms Region - Norway!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:13 am 

We honeymooned 200 miles north of the arctic circle, spending three weeks touring the famous Lyngen Alps and other sectors within the Troms region of northern Norway.

We spent roughly two years putting the trip together and waiting for author and guide for Midnight Sun Mountain Guides Espen Nordahl to finish the publication of his freshly English translated guidebook to the area. Not only was Espen key to the planning and execution of this once in a lifetime adventure, he also wrote in my opinion the best ski touring guidebook I've ever used.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS AND MORE TRIP REPORT INFO

Post subject: Re: Lyngen Alps - Troms Region - Norway!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:27 am 

dude awesome pictures, and a wicked blog!

im jealous, looks like you got the life

Post subject: Re: Lyngen Alps - Troms Region - Norway!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 am 

Congratulations on the wedding/honeymoon, and looks like you scored Troms county very well. The Nordahl book was well worth the $75 I paid to get it ($25 for the book, $50 to ship it to the US!!!)

What dates were you there? Looks like we might have had some overlap. I arrived in Tromso on the 13th of May, but my gear did not arrive until the night of the 14th of May. Only had a couple of tours on Kvaloya (Buren, and Steinskartinden after backing off the approach of Store Hollanderen due to poor snow conditions) and a couple of tours in Lyngen (Daltinden, and also the area around Storegalten after backing off the main face due to massive natural slides during our approach).

By those dates, we didn't have refreezing nightly temps, and there was a lot of natural avy activity through to May 19 when I left for Svalbard (and found much better snow!). But despite the lack of refreeze, if we avoided the big slide paths it was still really fun snow.

Good job with the Bobil. That's got to be the best way to explore Norge ... although we stayed at Magic Mountain Lodge in Lyngseidet and that was pretty awesome. Great vibe there, a true skier's lodge.