Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboarding Antarctica 11/2013
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 am 

Hey, I'm Cole, new to these forums but met some splitters on a recent trip so figured I'd sign up and post a TR and some pics.

At the start of last month the Sea Adventurer departed Ushuaia, Argentina for Ice Axe's semiannual Antarctica ski trip (http://www.iceaxe.tv/expedition/antarct ... uise-2013/). After a pretty rough two and a half day passage across the Drake, we reached the protected waters of the Antarctic and settled into our home for the next 7 days of snowboarding:

On board were about 100 skiers (about 20 guides with 4 clients each) and 60 or so crew. My group was me, IrishGav and D-GREEN along with our guide Andrew Eisenstark from PNH (http://www.alaskaheliski.com/). Both Gavan and Dusty are really sick, experienced splitboarders, and this was Andrew's third ski trip to Antarctica, so other than me at least we certainly had a super strong group!

Dusty trying to convince Andrew that "we'll be totally fine!" hitting some 60 degree couloir that runs out over a 200-ft ice cliff into the ocean.

Gavan getting ready to charge something.

Me sneaking in a quick t-shirt run on the warmest day of the trip.

Everything about Antarctica is super variable. Weather was 0F with blasting winds one day and t-shirt conditions the next. We'd hit some nice deep powder runs in the morning, and then ride some really wind affected snow in the afternoon. Just being down there was an amazing experience, and it's pretty surreal snowboarding lines with penguins around you that empty out right at the water.

The whole boat experience was pretty cool too. Really interesting clients and guides of all backgrounds, and Doug Stoup/Ice Axe did an amazing job making sure everything ran smoothly/safely/fun.

All-in-all it was definitely the trip of a lifetime. They are running it back next year if anyone is interested. Gavan and Dusty were both great guys to ride with, and are both much better with cameras than I am, so definitely hit them up for more pictures! Great start to the season, and hope everyone catches some good snow this year.

Post subject: Re: Splitboarding Antarctica 11/2013
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:23 pm 

Nice trip! Thanks for sharing the stoke. Also, welcome to the PNW! I'm gonna plug Next Adventure in SE Portland for all your split needs, go say hi to Chris and Ryan in there when you get into town.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm 

YEAH Cole,nice intro to Forum,might asswell jump on the bandwagon and do a little Photodump.

The whole trip was out of this world and so much more than just going spilt boarding,the people,the place and the vibes were just unreal.
From the very beginning to the last day everyone was just so super stoked,coming together from all over the world to experience this together.

Some of the snow was shitty but who cares when you get to shred down to a massive penguin colony and watch the little bastards pooping on each other.
Or cruising around in the zodiac looking into 90ft of super clear water to see whole whale skeletons on the bottom.
Every minute of the day was jam packed with stuff aside from being on the last continent,loads of interesting lectures from the expedition staff who are all experts
in different fields.Then we had 22 world class ski guides sharing stories and experiences.

Drake Passage 48 hour crossing,was pretty rough but we never had a massive storm like i was hoping for ;)

Lots of low angle runs,this is the most ridiculous complex terrain i've ever seen,just getting ashore is an achievement in itself,giant tabular ice shelfs calving into the ocean all over the place

Our Group Andrew,Cole and D-Green who i discovered is a motherfucking Hick!

Welcome to the Gnar

Hit up a giant blue hole one afternoon when the weather is socked in

More low angle goodness down to the water

Heading for lookers left of the face for our only steep line of the trip with quality snow

Me and Andrew McLean

The Jawbone of a Blue Whale,spent an afternoon at a Polish station and the beach was strewn with Whale bones and vertebrae,mind blown

Most people had baller rain wear for the zodiac crossings,Dusty doesn't fuck around because he is a hick

partied some on the boat too,it would have been rude not to

Cole staying stoked

Leopard seal floating by on a ice floe

Brash Ice,had to pass through lots of this at the beginning as we were the first boat in around the peninsula

Andrew McLeans group getting after it

Our Guide Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:48 pm 

Damn you Gav, calling me out like that. I'm crying with laughter here! Nice work getting a post up Cole, and ANTARCTICA as your first one… Well done!

I'm working on a TR myself, but I have WAY too many pic's to go through. In the meantime I'll drop Forrest McCarthy's video on ya'll. Be sure and check 1:30 for IrishGav's cameo.

Payback's a bitch. It was GREAT meeting and riding with you two, as well as everyone else on board. If anyone here gets a chance, GO ON THIS TRIP!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:23 pm 

[quote="IrishGav"]

Please tell me you slayed some of these lines, looks sickter

Welcome to the Gnar

To say I'm jealous would be an understatement

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 pm 

Speechless. Yep, D-GREEN is a hic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 am 

Awesome TR Cole. Thanks for sharing the stoke of an adventure of a lifetime. Also welcome to "stumptown" I`m across the water in "the Couve", :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:05 am 

Wow!!! Great TR!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am 

So rad, thanks for sharing! :drool: