Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lundy Canyon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:51 pm 

We originally had plans to check out the virginia lakes to green creek tour. i have never done it and the line looked great from the road. we were going to do the east run on dunderburg (easy day) just to check it out for the next day. but when we arrived at the parking area, the bottom of the run was melted out. And we saw a HUGE group of people gathering quickly. this made us decide to go up mt. olsen on the other side of the road. iv'e never really thought about mt. olsen. smaller and mellow. but we were looking for an easy day anyway. turns out, as we climbed, we watched at least 20 peeps going up the middle gully of dunderburg. glad we went across the street.

climbing olsen. we watched the biggest trail of ants i have ever seen climbing the strip that leads to the saddle of dunderburg.

at the top, we got a great view into Lundy Canyon

this is one of those times that the poor snowpack worked in our favor. never rode here before. we spotted one moving car on the road below. YES! the road looks open.

We dropped mt. olsen for a great corn run. at the car, we realized that we had not seen anyone skiing down dunderburg. all those people, and nobody skiing down? they must be going to green creek!

So, we drove down to Lundy to confirm that the road was open all the way in.
this is all we needed to see.

That night we met with our friend Ta-Hui at the hot springs. drank beer and tequila. and listened to stories of his recent powfest in revelstoke.

Unfortunately, he couldn't hike with us, due to minor surgery.(not from that recent powfest) so he volunteered to hang out the next day and take some pics for us.

the next morning was very relaxed. this thing faces north, so no hurry. it's spring.
got started at 10am. it actually felt weird to sit that long before a hike.
so. a new spot. an easy morning. AND roadside access. this is rare! (not to mention a personal photog)

only 10 minutes of this to the apron

there was a fair bit of old rockfall in this gully. the thunderstorms two days ago must have cleaned out the cliffs above. we got up this section as fast as possible.

out of the gully, the climb got really fun! a little breeze, epic scenery, good pitch and mostly perfect snow.

we went as high as the snow would allow. took a break. and set up for a cool run.

we did the first few turns together. but then my bro scrambles across a small rocky section so we each have our own ramp. this guy is always mixing it up!

classic. how often do you see this out there?

we work our way down and the snow keeps getting better. i get out of view for a bit. my bro gets some glory turns

we rode top to bottom. around 3000 vert.
had an open beer handed to me before getting to the car!

a rare combination of events led to an all time day for me and my bro.

Post subject: Re: Lundy Canyon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:56 pm 

Nice Job guys! I havent been up Lundy , dont know why

Is it me or is virginia Lakes turning into a shitshow? Was ther last month and saw way more people than I ever have

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 pm 

It was pretty rads watching the 2 Brothers rip two separate lines to the chute !!! good clean fun had by all !!! now we check out Boundary Peak !!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :guinness:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:33 pm 

Three weeks ago we were hiking across from Dunderberg, drooling over lines back in Lundy. Looks like it's awesome back there. We hiked Dunderberg to Green Creek last weekend. Fun trip, but the willow schwacking was way gnarly. Nice line! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 pm 

Rad! I drove up that canyon a few springs ago and was drooling over that exact line (as well as a few others). Definitely a place I want to check out on a year we get a fat snowpack again. TONS of radness in there.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:02 pm 

Ahhh, ole 7undy canyon.

killer line you picked there.

Warren and Dore Cliffs are awesome tours too.

Seeing your video from another TR, your name because instantly recognizable from a ton of pics from Hurchalla's Tahoe guide.

You still in contact with George? Such a cool cat and I dig his punk rock history books.

Look out for the Dore Beast though. Search the forum for the backstory. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
Ahhh, ole 7undy canyon.

killer line you picked there.

Warren and Dore Cliffs are awesome tours too.

Seeing your video from another TR, your name because instantly recognizable from a ton of pics from Hurchalla's Tahoe guide.

You still in contact with George? Such a cool cat and I dig his punk rock history books.

Look out for the Dore Beast though. Search the forum for the backstory. :D

junkie,
wow. to mention challa's old punk books! thats a while ago. guy is one of a kind!
yeah, i keep in touch with him. not much last few years. he spends most his time in mainland Mexico, scoring empty barrels.
the dore beast? mystery creature. still looking