Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip of my dreams
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:21 pm 

....shortly after I started splitboarding in Dec. 2009, I saw this beautiful peak - Great Wiesbachhorn (3564m). Since then I knew that I once will climb and ride this Very Important Peak of my Very Impressive Projects. It took me some years to get skills for this difficult super-exposed and physically intense project. Last year I was ready to go for it, but I failed twice because of bad conditions. Yesterday I was successful :drinks:

Ascent: From the valley to the summit it is the longest difference in height in the Eastern Alps: 2400hm. So I started before sunrise (04:50) in Ferleiten. After 1h hiking (500hm), it was possible to skin (+crampons) on crusted hard-packed snow. Soon it got tricky due old frozen avalanches. At about 2500m the terrain has about 45° and lots of rocks so you get into a "no fall zone" and I switched to crampons and iceaxes. At 2900m I started skinning again on the glacier "Teufelsmühlkees" hoping not to fall into a crevasse when traversing. Snowpack here was good, about 5-10cm of wind-influenced on surface breaking snow. About 80hm below the summit I was afraid to slide and I bootpacked on the spine. At 10:25 I was on the top :D

Descent: First turns were not so easy because of the on the surface breaking snow surface, after about 200hm it got softer due to sun, the ride on the glacier was great. Then at about 2900m it began to get really heavy for about 400hm. Snowpack was very soft due to the sun, good to ride but the problem was the sluff of the heavy and wet snow. If you get into it, you don`t have any chance to get out and you ride over rocks to bottom, that`s it. So I did very carefully and reached the bottom safe. After 1h hiking I was back at my car at 12:15.

I`m sorry for oversized pics, I can`t minimize them at the server :-(

there`s a vid, but due to conditions it is not really catchy:

starting to skin
good morning
looking down to the valley
the peak
summit
review
can`t stop riding
overview
green...skinning
red....booting
blue...descent different from ascent
good bye

Post subject: Re: Trip of my dreams
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 am 

I feel like I'm right there! :lol: Holy crap dude. Those pics are huuuge. That's a sweet line though! Nice work.
You should really try to minimize them if you can.

Post subject: Re: Trip of my dreams
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:30 pm 

Way to chase after it :bananas: