Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR: Beartooth Shakedown 6/6-6/8
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 pm 

In bold and overly ambitious fashion, a ski partner and I set out on the Lake Fork trailhead of Rock Creek, a delusional descent of Whitetail peak tattooed into our psyches. We are by no means rookies when it comes to backcountry travel, but all the equipment and lust in the world gets you nowhere in the mountaineering world with out a solid foundation of experience..

This being only my third time to the Beartooth wilderness (first overnite), we were a bit intimidated when setting eyes on our objective.. There were several other parties (one in West Fk, one by our camp on September Morn lake) that seemed more prepared and harbored less grandiosity.

stocking up on stoke

View from Mount Lockhart

shreddin down to the lake

homey ian bootin up

crrrrux

shit dude, i only brought cotton socks

you dont shred the beartooths. the beartooths shred you.

Summary: 20 miles round trip. 2 days, 6k vert, a sluff gangbang (brutal) and several creek crossings rounded out a very intense, very exciting trip. Whitetail is not for the faint of heart.. Next time.

Post subject: Re: TR: Beartooth Shakedown 6/6-6/8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 am 

Way to get after it boys! Next time indeed (I'm still waiting to shred that line from the top). Curious why you decided to go via Lake Fk instead of the West Fork?

Post subject: Re: TR: Beartooth Shakedown 6/6-6/8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:16 am 

nick- i cant really explain the logic used in that decision.. as there wasnt much. we were intently reading Turiano's SPOGY and decided that lake fork would allow us to gain sundance pass without too much switch backing, and then a feasible route up the northeast ridge of Whitetail would put us right on top of our line. however, there was a cornice guarding the upper entrance, and the prospect of 3000'+ bootpack was unsettling to say the least.. we retreated to the bowl near our camp and rode some tamer lines I pictured (we called that one we booted up Whitetail's little sister haha). West fork next time for sure.