Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windy Peak area Utah
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:39 pm 

Uintas 3/21-3/23

I had no Camera for the only day I split on this trip, but here are some shots of the snowcat trip I went on Sat/Sun.

The shots are of an area known as 1000 Peaks ranch in the Uintas...it's Utah's largest working ranch (60k acres). They are the worlds largest supplier of Wool to Woolworths in the summer, and a backcountry boarders wet dream in the winter :D

I know I didn't "earn" these turns...but they were fun nonetheless.

First three shots of me laying down some tracks:

My line is to the left of the skier:

Bald Eagle (appropriately enough since the run shown above is called "four eagle":

This was a knarly cornice, the overhang was huge and the feature was so remarkable I'm told that Craig Gordon of the Utah avalanch center skinned up just to look at it:

The remarkable part wasn't the size of the cornice (HUGE), it was this stress fracture which over the course of my 2 days out there went from non-existent to 3 ft wide in spots:

You could see down to the bed surface through the stress crack, it looked more like a crevasse:
Snowcat trying to send it, woulda been amazing to see this thing go, but I suppose it'll follow its own schedule, could go today for all I know!:

Me and my father-in-law at a an unamed summit on windy ridge, this was the start of what I'm told was a first snowboard decent:
Shot from the top of our destination (bridge across creek on the snowcat road at the bottom of Weber Canyon(center of photo)):

A shot of me at the bridge with the starting point (highest peak in background over my left shoulder):
Thanks to the folks that replied to my request for beta on another thread, especially UB who offered to hook me up, I'll definitely take you up on this offer next time.

Post subject: Re: Windy Peak area Utah
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:27 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:
Thanks to the folks that replied to my request for beta on another thread, especially UB who offered to hook me up, I'll definitely take you up on this offer next time.

Glad you enjoyed UT. Was curious if I was going to hear from you, the Thrillhead Creations crew was in town filming the high peaks and hero snow in bluebird conditions, we went on some pretty epic tours. Their splitter Nate Russel A.K.A NR was killing it on big lines. Was unreal to witness.

You didn't by chance park at the White Pine trailhead and were waiting on someone Saturday did you?

Next time.......

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:38 pm 

Oh man I really blew it by not getting ahold of you! Damn!

No that wasn't me you saw at the trailhead. The only day I split was at Mineral Basin, which I accessed via Snowbird, for some reason, the 'bilers weren't out at all that day.

Cheers.

BTW, Post above edited, so hopefully everyone can see the pic right in the post...sorry, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to posting pics, but Tex said post pics...so here they are!