Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Losing my Sierra virginity
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:06 pm 

So while touring in wolverine cirque earlier this month Bucky asked if i would be interested in going on a trip to the sierras. I've been wanting to go the the sierra's for a few years so i said yes. I got the confirmation call on thursday night and was told to be ready the next afternoon. So on Friday Bucky(buckchow), Eric(islehiker), and me(wasatchsurf) headed off to the range of light. Our first stop was the Dana Plateau where we met up with steve(breadbox). We made it up to the top of coke chute for a long ride back down and then hit one of the powerplant chutes back to the car. The weather gods were somewhat upset with us this trip as a low pressure system moved in unexpectedly and it was cloudy and snowy more than it was sunny. The next day we rode some gully leading up to the tungstar bowls but the weather shut us down. The third day was N. Couloir of Emerson and the weather was totally fucked, but it was still a lot of fun even though that was one of the worst wind storms i've been in. The trip went by way too fast and i cant wait to get back out there sometime. Thanks Bucky, Eric, and Steve :rock:

Day 1 in the sun

Day 2 hot springs and snow

the day started off nice as we headed down to hit scheelite chute however the conditions looked a little variable so we headed towards tungstar bowls. i didn't take any pics

day 3 winter
it dawned clear

but started to change early in the day

Eric trying to hide from the wind

seconds before a total whiteout

Day 4 Homeward

i'll have more pics and some video up on the blog later. But right now i have to go take advantage of some spring wasatch riding. :thatrocks:

Post subject: Re: Losing my Sierra virginity
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:21 pm 

Good On You Guys

I really dont know why we dont see more of these type of springtime reports. Utah to the Sierr isnt that far...or by anymeans a tough drive.
Most folks in the Sierra ( if you see anyone else) dont mind company , or visitors.

The Sierra season always last a longer than Utah, colorado.....mainly cause we start much later .

march is our BIG snowfall month , but sometimes April and May are banner.

But May is alway magic

Sun
Corn
Hotsprings
Momart.

and if you got the time Bishops, mule Days is happening soon and its a hot. Might even pick up a hot cowgirl if your lucky

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm 

good to see all these sierra TR's - SPRING FEVAH!!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:56 pm 

Cool to see all the out-of-town splitters hitting up the Sierra. Next time you guys will have to make it to the CA splitfest! Wish I could have met up with you guys; the phone updates from breadbox were making it hard to get any work done. :) Looks like you got to sample some of the classic eastside springtime descents, despite the weather not cooperating. That chute you guys did after Coke chute is a super fun line. I've heard it just called the "camp chute" since it ends up in the camp ground. There are a few other ones dropping off that same knob as well. So many lines out there!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:56 pm 

Nice! So much eastside stoke happening around here! And with so much snow and lack of suncups there's so much more to come :rock:
Way to bag some classics :headbang:
N Couloir in a white out must have been interesting.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:12 pm 

I'm hoping i can find a way to get back down there this season. not only am i in love with the mountains, but the hot springs won my heart as well. plus i need to get back to the N. couloir in good conditions, one of the coolest lines i've been in.

here is some video i took from the first day