Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steeps/Mtning Training
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am 

After Storn got half buried in Wyoming a few years ago he instituted a penance of an annual safety related training. That made sense to me and after a few discussions we called upon Tom Burt and Jim Zellers, as well as Sierra Mountain Guides, to teach several of us Sierra folk a Steeps/Mtn. class.

Last year focused more on snowboard mountaineering

Setting dead man anchors

Rapping with board on

This year focused more on steep turns

Also got a few pre-class pleasure turns

Others have WAAYY better photos that they may or may not post.

Post subject: Re: Steeps/Mtning Training
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am 

Nice great idea, good times I'm sure. So what do they teach you about shredding steeps? Seems like that's more related to skill and experience. Hope people post some more pics.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:36 am 

Gotta hand it to Tom, Jim, Howie and Neil . Never thought the old man would be rappelling into a couloir , but here you go

I had a great time, learned a lot, made a fool of myself, and went home sore and tired

Thanks again Eco for setting this up. Thanks to Tom, Jim , and Sierra mountain Guides for the fun weekend

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 pm 

Quote:
So what do they teach you about shredding steeps?

First mistake that I made that got corrected was how I started to downclimb into the chute. Like a dumbass, I started down facing away from the slope.

Next tip was how to start. I find that I usually go in too hot and have been known to lose an edge and butt slide. They advice dropping on the slope and setting a hard edge right away, before having speed.

A mistake that I do that got corrected was leaning back on heel side turns. They instructed me to squat as if "you've got a broomstick up your ass". Imagine the broomstick right up your ass and up through your spine. Staying in that sort of body position is key.

Lastly, keeping my front shoulder in-line with the tip of my board. This is huge for staying in control and initiating turns.

Quote:
Seems like that's more related to skill and experience.

No matter how much I go out I never spend the time to simply reflect and correct. I think every athletic maneuver can be improved through coaching.

I've found it very useful to do ten jump turns in a narrow 45 degree chute and then have Tom Burt and Jim Zellers give me pointers, then doing ten more, more pointers, ten more.

Gotta keep in mind that I haven't been riding my whole like like a lot of you. I started up 8 or 9 years ago and have progressively been riding higher and tighter lines since then but still no expert. That being said, there were some bad-ass riders sucking info from TB and JZ.

Overall a very good experience.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:01 pm 

UTAH wrote:
Nice great idea, good times I'm sure. So what do they teach you about shredding steeps? Seems like that's more related to skill and experience. Hope people post some more pics.

For me, my skill level climbs way faster if I am targeting specific technique as I gain experience.

This is my 6th year on a snowboard (after skiing though) and my 5th year in the backcountry. I'm not claiming I'm a master but I definitely stunk it up in the beginning and benefitted from following around riders like Buffy, Jimw, Powderjunkie, etc etc etc thanks guys.

Tom and Jim obviously really know their sh*t. They learned to ride by hiking the tahoe backcountry because resorts wouldn't allow them and they learned their technique by watching and analyzing each other because there was no other way.

So after last year I really concentrated on keeping my center of mass above my feet and my body away from the slope instead of leaning in. I concentrated on landing the board onto a solid 'platform' at the bottom of each turn to keep everything under control. And I contentrated on keeping my shoulders, hips, and knees in alighnment and keeping the arms from spazzing out. So much to think about or just look at Jim:

They are easy to photograph because every frame is pretty, always in control...

This year I learned how to commit more fully and joyfully to the slope which was the missing ingredient. I had some good and fun turns in the steeps with those guys and I really look forward to practicing the new stuff over the next year.

Plus it was just outright fun riding with a good crew and getting into the steeps...

Oh yeah it was guided by Sierra Mountain Guides, Howie and you might remember Niel from the split party. They were definitely in the spirit of things, so it was fun. Here's Howie and his ski anchor:

It was a really fun time with some legends of big mountain riding. So much to learn! Tx TB & JZ!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:08 am 

Thanks for posting the tips and pics. What an awesome idea to have an annual safety-inspired training session.

:thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:12 pm 

Nice. Nat and I were bummed we couldn't make it this year.

Nat would have gone out there just for another hug from Tom. :wink: :D

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:14 pm 

lucky bastards ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:39 pm 

This was the start to a nine day trip on the Eastside, my spring trip.

Morning in the Buttermilks

Tex pointing out the Gilbert direct route to Jaybay and Jim Z

Sanfran, Mtnrider and Eco taking a break

lots of splits

First days destination

Day 2, no pics, dead batteries in camera. We didn't do anything cool and the snow sucked :wink:

So, my toeside turn needs work and Fullers and Mtnrider agreed to stay an extra day and help me practice at Nevabe ridge.

The wagontrain at camp

The keyhole to our playground for the day

Skinnin

Bootin

Practice, practice, practice

This trip report continued here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8878

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:23 am 

I still don't have time to embed all the shots, but there's a slideshow here:

I don't think regular words could do my level of stoke from this trip justice, so I'll just say thanks to all involved for a great weekend.....especially TB and JZ and Neil and Howie.

:guinness:

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:40 am 

Good stuff guys, one should never stop learning/training...complacency has no place in the backcountry. Wish I could've joined ya :banghead:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Quote:
So what do they teach you about shredding steeps?

Next tip was how to start. I find that I usually go in too hot and have been known to lose an edge and butt slide. They advice dropping on the slope and setting a hard edge right away, before having speed.

This is key. Its really easy to lose control and almost impossible to regain control.

That must have been a awesome experience.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 am 

pretty rad going out with TB and jim zellers. Just watching those guys approach a line is an education within itself...