Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: travis rice with karakoram hardware similar to a freestyle ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 am 

hi guys! gotta a question.
I was riding a voile mojo 161 with voile hardware for the last 3 years, but at the resort I ussually ride a custom flying V.
And with the voile I don´t like the way I ride, I miss the camber/rocker and true twin of the flying v. At the same time, in bad conditions, wind, ice, etc, is hard to change from touring to ride mode or also to atach the crampons.
Thats why I m thiking of change my mojo to a travis rice 161,5 with all the karakoram hardware and bindings.
It´s pretty expensive, so I want and a advice of one of you that have a t.rice.
Thanks!.

Post subject: Re: travis rice with karakoram hardware similar to a freestyle ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:36 pm 

The rice 161 is a sick board. Pretty comparable to the GNU billy goat which I am currently on and LOVE. Had a great day on it in GTNP today. The rice has a 260mm waist which is a plus if your boots are bigger than 10.5 or 11. The GNU split feels a lot like my resort GNU altered genetics, just a little heavier of course....

I have ridden with spark Fuses for the last 3 seasons of splitting and love them, especially after starting out on the old voile slider plates. They are also out of Bozeman, and I like local companies. I ride with people who have the Karakorams, and they are a tad easier to switch over to ride mode than the Spark setups. They weigh a little less as well.

My thoughts are both bindings are great. I hike fast and a lot, and usually am on top first. It takes me no longer to get ready to ride than most skiers or those that have the karakorams. It might take an extra few minutes to get ready, but if you cant take a few minutes to enjoy your surroundings and chat a little then maybe you shouldn't have gone spitting that day.

Oh, and Karakorams have the heel lockdown which is pretty nice and would like to try out. But they are also twice the price of Sparks.

When your splitting in that certain Melt/Freeze temp right around 31-33 degrees, both bindings can get gummed up with ice when going back to ride mode, maybe the Karakorams just a little bit more so than the sparks. That wasnt the case today for me, about 10 degrees, and snowing cold smoke.

My hands luckily never really get cold, even in -20F temps, and I always remove gloves for putting pins in and board assembly no matter how windy or cold. When its windy and -20F though, it is nice to put the gloves back on though 8)

Cant go wrong with that T rice, and either Sparks or Karakorams...both will kick ass for ya. Just Dont go with the K2 Quicker IMO!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 am 

workman wrote:

Oh, and Karakorams have the heel lockdown which is pretty nice and would like to try out. But they are also twice the price of Sparks.

when you factor in the voile hardware plus spark bindings, they are about the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:09 am 

Just got a look at the new Spark Edison bindings.....those look very nice! Yet I still have no problems using the old puck system. Key for me was to dial in my stance, then LOCKTITE the screws that go into pucks to ensure that they dont become loose. When I first started splitting I remember that the pucks would become loose after long tours, and when switching to ride mode the bindings would have some play in them.

When splitting or snowboarding in general away from lifts, always carry a damn screwdriver. Extra buckles and ladders are also VERY nice to have when one fails right before dropping a dangerous line.

#1 thing to have......duct tape!!! Can be used as a makeshift strap in an emergency, or to keep skins from falling off when its super cold out on long tours....as well as a shitload of other uses, medical or equipment wise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am 

I have a Travis Rice split, with Sparks. But no experience with either of your boards. I think it will not be unlike you Flying V though, it's not he stiffest board out there. It's more playfull than my Libtech Dark split, and it doesn't hold an edge as well on ice as that probably because it's softer.

I think if you're not a freestyle backcountry type, there are better options. But that is just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 am 

thank you guys,I'll see what to do!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am 

well guys! I dont know if is good or not, but I found a billy gout 159 for a really good price (550$) so I change my mind about the t,rice and I bought this one, well see how it rides!
Thank you all