Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skating with the Karakoram Heel Lockdown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm 

Fellow Karakoram Users- I recently purchased the Heel Lock Down attachment, it works great at locking the heel down. Sidestepping uphill is so wonderful.. I highly recommend it for that reason alone. If you catch a significant downhill on the skin track its also great to rip the skins off and make some turns behind skiers.

Now lets talk about Skating- I find it to be so much harder than on skis.. am I alone? I'm not sure if its because snowboard boots just lack the lateral stability.. or if the binding just doesn't give the stability.

I'm thinking about going out this weekend to experiment.. My first idea is to throw a booster strap through the highback to try and tighten things up.

Does anyone have any other things they have tried? or other suggestions. I can skate just fine on nordic and alpine skis, so I'm just a bit frustrated.

Post subject: Re: Skating with the Karakoram Heel Lockdown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 pm 

Did you try to skate with the straight edges inside?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm 

I rigged up a makeshift heel lockdown a while back with Voile straps thru the highback and attached to a loop screwed into one of the unused binding inserts. I found the same thing you mentioned - it felt like ass when actually skiing. I skiied for years before boarding, so I don't think it's completely operator error. :) I think you're right, a big part of this is due to the lack of lateral support in soft boots. You just don't have much support for putting the ski on edge. A power strap should help that a bit. IIRC, I tried that and there was a marginal improvement. If you look at the pics from SIA it looks like Karakoram is working on some sort of integrated strap for just this purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm 

FaDe wrote:
Did you try to skate with the straight edges inside?

I think that would be a recipe for bending your K clips. I agree with th OP its hard to skate with those bastards I think its more do do with the shape of the skis and that the curved edges inside make it hard. I still found it easier than trying to ski with them unlocked( instant ass plant without skins on) Maybe this is just a case of practice makes perfect. Your right as can be about the side stepping that is worth the price of admission alone plus if you have the first gen climbing wire brackets than the upgrade is worth it just to not have to deal with those not working right.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

jimw wrote:
If you look at the pics from SIA it looks like Karakoram is working on some sort of integrated strap for just this purpose.

I am pretty sure that strap is used to strengthen there lightest weight set up the prime.Image

They are very much against you down hill skiing on there binding and I can see why the toe piece is not designed to hold up to it.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 pm 

Freighttrain48 wrote:
jimw wrote:
If you look at the pics from SIA it looks like Karakoram is working on some sort of integrated strap for just this purpose.

I am pretty sure that strap is used to strengthen there lightest weight set up the prime.Image

Not what I was talking about. In the case of the Prime, if you're talking about that piece of cord, that is actually replacing the entire heelcup! Interesting.

What I was talking about is this though:

Quote:
They are very much against you down hill skiing on there binding and I can see why the toe piece is not designed to hold up to it.

The main reason for the warnings is really just to prevent any liability if you crash, since they don't release. Talking to them about it, it sounds like they tried to beat the crap out of them while skiing and they held up well.