Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:20 pm 

I really want these to work. maybe next year they will have all the kinks worked out. Buckchow won some at an event here in SLC and they started pooping all over the base of his board on his second tour out I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 am 

I got a set for my wife (red plush 2012 race models) and she used them for the first time today. She never comments on gear (I could hand her a different board every day and I doubt she would notice) but she did say that she thought the Geckos offered more grip than any of her previous skins (BD Ascensions and G3 Alpinist). This was after scratching our way up a steep and pretty ugly approach of refrozen and skied-out chunk that she negotiated with relative ease. Later we skinned three times straight up a very steep headwall that was close to the comfort limits of our dual-height climbing bars. I bought the 2012s understanding that if and when they start spewing tar on her board that we can warranty them. I won't wait as long as I did with mine though. So far she seems to like them a lot. My new ones are working well though I am getting a few frayed strands on the edge of the material which has never happened with any other skin before. A minor point.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:12 am 

philip.ak wrote:
Gecko sent me new skins before I returned my old ones. It's not like they asked what I had done to them before replacing them.

I am waiting now for 2 weeks for my replacement geckos :nononno:
I wrote to the inventor/manufacturer of the gecko skins, he wrote back after a week or so that I should send them back for replacement where I bought them (splitboards.eu). I sent them on 17.1.2013 wrote 2 emails what's going on and so far no reply. :?
Thank god I have some old Burton skins which came with my Girlfriends Burton Face prototype I bought her... I already bought new glue to re-glue them :shock: and make them stick better (10years old never used) and I hate glue skins and cheat sheats :cry:
I want my geckos back! :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 am 

I've been out with the Gecko's a few times now, and must say they're really good.
When I see my friends struggling with the sheets and glue and using Hulk Hogan strength to get them apart.

One thing I do notice, is that I have way less grip.
It might have to do that the skins that came with the Burton are not full lenght, and don't have tailclips.
That together with my 1m90 and the fact I'm not a featherweight don't help either.

Looking to sell the skins I have now, I reckon they'd work ok for a lighter person....
New ones will be Gecko's too for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:27 am 

They work ok for me too, no issues with durability yet.

@ Jarno, can you send me a PM with the sisez of the Gecko's you're looking to sell. If they fit I might be interested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm 

I'm experiencing snow between the skin and my board both front and back with the geckos. Not that it's a big problem, but they seem to stick a bit less than my old BD/Voile skins, never had that problem with them. Apart from that, I'm super-happy with my Geckos. Glide/Friction seems to be somewhere between the G3 and Voile ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 pm 

The 2011/12 skins I got for my wife are starting to bite the dust after about a half dozen days out.

We sort of expected they would die quickly after my 11/12 skins did too. The scary part is that my new warranty replacement 2013 skins (which are supposed to be better) are showing the early signs of having ALL the same problems the old ones did. While I love the grip and glue concept, these things are time bombs and WAAAAY too expensive for the rat-shit reliability they are demonstrating. :thumbsdown:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:01 pm 

That's unfortunate.
My red plush Geckos (the older ones) have about a dozen short days on them and are just barely starting to show the problems with the adhesive. Mostly I have noticed adhesive coming off one half and sticking to the other half of the skin when they are folded, rather than goo on the base of my board.
Thanks to this thread, I've been well aware of the issues from day one, so I have been consciously "gentle" when separating them or removing them from my boards. We'll see how much longer I can go.
Honestly my larger problem has been with snow getting underneath the tails and losing stick that way. I've been reluctant to invest in tail clips though...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 am 

That looks pretty bad. You say half a dozen days, mine have been used longer than that but I don't change over more than a few times on a typical day. How often did you pull them apart or from the ski before they looked like that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 am 

Things were going fairly well with my wife's skins until yesterday. The thing that seems to totally kill these skins is to ski any distance over rough ice, much like someone earlier in this thread noticed. Yesterday we had to ski down a 100m long gentle slope of bubble-wrap texture rime ice. Most of our touring is obviously not on textured ice, and so up until now the skins have gotten a more gentle treatment. They were just showing some softening in the adhesive with a few tiny spots losing the adhesive and showing the material underneath, and they were starting to leave specs of tar residue on her bases. After that short ice slope however, huge patches peeled off. With my old Geckos, they never saw any rough, icy skis-mode slopes, so I had quite a few days on them before they finally turned into pudding. I think perhaps it is the friction and freeze/thaw nature of skiing over ice, or simply the extreme mechanical force concentration of riding over rock-hard lumpy ice features that kills the adhesive.

I was not using my new Geckos yesterday, so I can't say how they would have fared.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 am 

I think sticking them glue to glue doesn't help either, I saw a small spot of adhesive coming loose when I pulled them apart last weekend. I can pull them off my board really easy though, without above problems.

I've now rolled them up hair to glue, seems much easier anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:40 am 

sorry not pics,
Gecko warranted my old skins and sent me a new set of the blue ones this fall. By the time we got around to the spring-same problem; silicate comes off onto the board. :cry: Guess I'll try to send them back again. Last time I ended up base grinding the board to get all the gunk off it. Anybody got good ideas on how to remove it?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:59 am 

Mineral spirits works well removing the BD glue. I tune a couple pairs of skis for friends that are always gunkified.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next