Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 am 

So to take a summary,

Geckos last longer when not skied on hard or icy surface, that kills them.
I would also recommend of using some sort of cheat sheets (did not figure out yet what material is good to be no sticky for the gecko layer), because when some small spots of the Gecko layer start to wear off or peel off the skin, by sticking the skins together it works like on glue skins. The good side takes more and more glue or gecko layer off the "damaged side" which makes more and more area to be peeled off the skin and cumulate on the good side.
So some sort of cheat sheet will prolong the lifetime of the gecko layer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:38 am 

I think cheat sheet kinda defeats the purpose of these skins, it seems like more of a hassle. But since the Gecko's don't stick like normal skins, you can actually roll them glue to hair side.
I've been doing that for a while now and it's not only easier because it keeps them from sticking together. It's also easier and faster because you only deal with one skin at a time, and they stay dry and don't get blown away if its windy. Just take a rear clip off and start rolling until you're at the tip and put the first skin in the bag, repeat for the second skin.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:57 am 

Do you also store them that way? (Rolled)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 am 

ieism wrote:
I think cheat sheet kinda defeats the purpose of these skins, it seems like more of a hassle. But since the Gecko's don't stick like normal skins, you can actually roll them glue to hair side.
I've been doing that for a while now and it's not only easier because it keeps them from sticking together. It's also easier and faster because you only deal with one skin at a time, and they stay dry and don't get blown away if its windy. Just take a rear clip off and start rolling until you're at the tip and put the first skin in the bag, repeat for the second skin.

you can roll any skin like this

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:16 pm 

I just got one of my two warranty sets. The plush is dark charcoal grey, and the adhesive side is a bright cardinal red. They came with the same dorky plastic gecko-hands tip and tail hardware, so I'll have to do my mods again. I have not investigated the sticky side yet, but the glue seems firmer than the last batch, and obviously a totally different color. We'll see how this set pans out. We're 0 for 3 at this point.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm 

I have the dark blue ones (last years?), and have to report a 'fail' that I haven't seen in this thread yet.

Any skins will work better sticking to your base at room temp than in the cold, of course. However, these geckos completely lost their adhesive properties in some cold temps (about 11-12 degrees F) we had recently. Tried warming them in my jacket, scraping them on my ski edge, all to no avail. Once the temp on your board base is cold enough, they just won't adhere.

The glue on G3s and BDs is less effective too at cold temps in my experience. But I've always been able to revive them by getting all the snow/ice off the glue side and warming them in my jacket. But this was the worst failure I've ever seen. Ended up having to boot out instead of skin. :nononno: SO FUCKING GLAD I was on a short tour.

I still love how small and light the geckos are, they will be great for spring/summer touring I'm sure. But I had to go get a set of G3s so that I have something reliable for winter use. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:41 am 

Just me having problems in mild weather ?? :/
I got the newest ones (?) Black under, red sticky side.

Been using them a few months now, and they seemed to work best in cold temps, pow snow... no problems!
Now it's spring time, and the skins are just soaked in water when in use, so they won't stick good anymore. :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:41 am 

My wife has been using her new ones this winter (charcoal plush, red glue) and the glue is definitely less sticky than the old versions. The material woven to make the skins likes to 'roll' towards the plush side, so given the chance the skins will try to expose the edge of the glue where it gets contaminated with snow. This process repeats itself until significant areas of the skin at the tip and tail don't stick. This is in dry snow.

The old skins used to shrug off any amount of wetness, but the new ones are more susceptible to wetting out of the glue and not performing.

I like the weave of the new material a lot less, and despite the fact that the glue is not deteriorating as far as I can tell, it does not offer the strength of benefits like the older versions.

The skins don't strike me as that special anymore, in light of the new glue from G3 being a lot easier to pull apart.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9