Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BCD-style bindings with avy release.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:25 pm 

jive stick wrote:
As for the garage cobbles, well, isn't that how the splitboard came about in the first place.
BTW, seen most of the current cobbles in years past.
I always think avalanche and possible release from the board. That lack is foremost in my mind of things needing address.

...check out this avy release mod I built on my BCD-style bindings.

Because the toe piece is hinged, you only need one release point on the heelstrap to open the bindings.

I just replaced the heelstrap bolt with a clevis pin and a cotter pin.

When you pull the cotter pin, the binding opens right up.

I took a piece of cord and tied it the right length to have tension between the two cotter pins.

With a gloved hand you can easily grab the rip cord.

Boing! Both bindings pop open at the same time.

I haven't really developed this idea very much. I rode the board with the clevis pins for a day in a few inches of powder and the cotter pin popped out twice on its own. I think the idea could have good merit if you designed a really nice pin that only released with the steady upward pressure of someone pulling the rip cord or some other kind of engineered release pin.

Post subject: Re: Hey jive stick...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:33 am 

Nice thinkin' and sweet work SF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:28 pm 

Sounds like you might already be thinking this, since you mentioned a rip cord, but ...

Here's my thoughts on how to keep it from releasing on its on, but still be quick release. Rather than attaching both pins together, I would mimic a parachute type rip cord. This would involve some protective tubing on the back of the high back and a patch of velcro also attached to the high back. Then, attach the pin to cord or wire that can be fed through the protective tubing or casing. At the top of the highback where the velcro is, attach a small pull tab to the wire and then to the velcro. Then when you need to quick release, you just have to pull both tabs, one on each binding. It still might release if you caught the velcro on something, but I think it might hold better than both pins attached together.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the comments...

kjkrow - that's what I was originally thinking, but I decided to go with one cord joining the two pins for a few reasons. First, you always want to pull both pins at once. If just one foot comes out your knee will be ruined. Also, it gives you an easier target to reach for with your gloved hand, yet the ripcord is protected well by the board itself and the rider's legs.

I think my main problem is those crappy little cotter pins. The clevis pin (with the hole) rotates freely and snow pushing on the cotter pin knocks it free. I would use pretty much your pin design on each side, with a long pin running through a tube attached to the binding. That way the pin will only pull out with direct upward force in the direction protected by the snowboard.