Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cali Vacation Help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:38 am 

OK. Getting married June 29th. Honeymooning in Cali. Week in Napa then a week in Tahoe. Staying somewhere on the south shore....

So what do i need help with? Snow. I know this year has sucked asshole for snow. I also know that it isnt even MAY yet. I also know that no one can predict the future. (I did go to college :D ) HOWEVER, im bored at work and thought id ask......

ANY chance i can get some turns in ealry July? I have permission from the then to be WIFE. I know it will be a Wait and See type senario, but again, im bored and snow deprived so get off my back! Sorry.

Any clue Where the best bet would be? Alos, if it is possible, im gonna need to rent....

Thanx Bitches :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:01 am 

Mountain biking, climbing and boating will be going off in July....but the snow will be completely gone. Not even a hope. I doubt you could even patch ski this July. I bet June will even be a bust this year. Sorry dude.

Napa will be awesome. There's mountain biking around there too. Let me know if your into mtbing, I'd be stoked to show you some trails (Tahoe or Napa).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:28 am 

What i thought....

Yes, i do Mountain bike and would LOVE to hook up and ride.

Ill keep in touch as the time approaches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:29 am 

Congrats on getting hitched up. I have a split you could borrow, no problem, but I have no idea where you'd find snow this year. I think Shasta is the only possibility and that's about 4 hours North of Napa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am 

Thanx SF! Might be outta luck for the snow though......

Oh well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:18 pm 

Go to Big Sur. I could just chillout there and burn a pound for days and days and days and days and days..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:02 pm 

Splitfire wrote:
Go to Big Sur. I could just chillout there and burn a pound for days and days and days and days and days..........

Big Sur is chill. Have you ever hiked into Sykes Camp? Redwoods, Big Sur River and hot springs...mmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:50 am 

When I went to Sykes, in the middle of the night a huge freakin' tree fell on the campsite next to ours! Talk about scary. :shock:

Anyway, back to the topic... hell, if you're going to head down to Big Sur, make a stop in Santa Cruz and I'll take you mountain biking. Bring pads. :)

As far as snow goes, probably the only decent turns would be on Shasta. However, since you're from the east coast, I know you're used to hiking miles just to get in a few crappy turns. :) In that case, you might want to check out the Conness area. It's a scenic drive from Tahoe to Lee Vining (maybe a few hours tops). Bring your wife. You can check out the ghost town of Bodie on the way, well worth a stop. Drive up to Saddlebag lake, and take the boat across. The hike up towards Conness is very scenic, and there will probably be plenty of wildflowers. Your wife can chill at one of the lakes while you continue on to get your 5 turns in on suncupped snow. But hey, in July you take what you can get.

Here's what it looked like the first week of August last year. This year we're about a month plus ahead of last year in terms of snow melting off, so by the time you're here the coverage will probably be less than this. But there should still be something.

If you've never been to Yosemite, it's worth taking at least a day and doing some hikes in the park. Then head back to Tioga Pass and hike up to the Dana Plateau, and check out all the sick lines off there but with a summer perspective. The views are incredible. Finish it off by soaking in one of the many natural hot springs near Mammoth.

It won't suck.

Oh yeah, and dinner at the Mo-mart!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:44 pm 

If I had one day to spend in California and I had not been my choice wuld be yosemite. The wife will love it. As Jim Said make sure to have dinner at the Mo Mart..or its real Name the Whoa Nellie Deli. Also by driving into the park from the 120 you get to see Tioga Pass. And Dana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:00 pm 

When your in Napa look me up. Killer singletrack and more massive backcountry rides than you can shake a stick at. I can hook you up with some great wine tasting/dinning. I can easily get you in to Opus One for example.
At the very least, you are required to stop in to see me at my place of employment - Greystone Restaurant at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). A bottle (some epic local cult-classic shit) of wine is on me.

There's always snow to ride/ski on Shasta. It just depends how far you want to hike. I've skied Shasta every month of the year. The snowpack this year, however, will be similar to October after a snowy winter - long hike.

If you want to do some whitewater kayaking - Cache Creek is about 1 hour away. I got 4 boats...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:42 pm 

jibmaster wrote:
At the very least, you are required to stop in to see me at my place of employment - Greystone Restaurant at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). A bottle (some epic local cult-classic shit) of wine is on me.

Affix - take you wife there for dinner and you may end up with a free weekend pass for all of next season! (or at least for long enough for a side trip to Conness!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:19 am 

WOW. Great suggestions guys! Im very stoked!

Although it seems like snow may be scarce, im not worried. I have never been to Yosemitie, so thats on the list. Biking with Eco for sure as well.

Jibmaster: I will DEFINATELY look you up for sure! Would love to get a ride in and will absolutely stop in your Restaurant! Ill PM you as the time gets closer.

All the help and suggestions are much appreciated! Thanx and keep em' commin'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:25 am 

Quote:

My in-laws dine all over the country, they just ate at CIA a couple weeks ago and claim one of their top five meals ever.

You can assume we'll gear you up if Shasta or Conness are in your plans.

Shasta, Yosemite, Tahoe, Napa, Santa Cruz, Big Sur--better have three weeks. and that doesn't even account for the time on P420's boat.